Chapter Ten

Rin is ecstatic.
"But what was he doing at Momochi's?" Her curiosity oozes through the phone, she was even more excited about the whole photo-shoot; I had to move my cell away from my ears. I am right now in the depths of the stockroom of Momochi's, trying my best to keep my voice casual, concealing my inner fangirl with the best monotone voice I could muster.
"He was in the area."
"A coincidence, you think? Then it must have been ahuge coincidence, [name]. Don't you think he was there to see you?" My heart lurches at the prospect, I hold my breath, but it's only a short-lived joy. The dull, frustrating and bitter reality is hammering against my head and I accept it: he was just there on business.
"He was visiting the farming division of WSU in Uzushigakure. He's funding some research," I mutter in the speaker.
"Oh, yes. He's given $2.5 million grant." Rin tells me; my mouth claps open.
Wow.
"How do you know this?"
"[Name], I'm a journalist, and I've written a profile on that guy. It's my job to know this, if not, then all my years in college were for nothing."
"Okay, Amy Goodman, keep your hair on. So, do you want these photos?"
"Of course I do! The question is just, who's going to do them and where?"
"We could ask him where," I murmur. "He is staying in the area."
"You can contact him?" It wasn't just a question, Rin's voice sounds so surprised, like that time when Kakashi asked her out on a date. Oh, her forever crush Hatake Kakashi. . .
"I have his cell phone number." I say, matter-of-factly.
Rin gasps.
"The richest, most elusive, most enigmatic bachelor in Konohagakure just gave you his cell phone number?"
"Er . . . yes." I don't know what else to say. The way she said it, it almost sounded like she wants to tell me-
"[Name]! He likes you. No doubt about it." Her tone is emphatic.
Exactly these words, and I wish they were true-
"Rin, he's just trying to be nice." But even as I say the words, I know they are not true -- Sasuke Uchiha doesn't do nice. He does polite, maybe, but that was it. And a small, quiet voice whispers, breaking my line of thought, Perhaps Rin is right. My scalp prickles at the idea that maybe, just maybe, he might like me. After all he did say that he was glad Rin didn't do the interview. I hug myself with quiet glee, rocking from side to side, entertaining the possibility that he might like me. But Rin brings me back to the here and now.
"I don't know who we'll get to do the shoot. Levi*, our regular photographer, can't. He's home in Amegakure for the weekend. He'll be pissed that he blew an opportunity to photograph one of Japan's leading entrepreneurs."
"Hmm . . . what about Suigetsu?"
"Great idea! You ask him -- he'll do anything for you, [name]. Then call Uchiha and find out where he wants us to be." Rin is irritatingly cavalier about Suigetsu.
"I think you should call him."
"Who, Suigetsu?" Rin scoffs.
"No, Sasuke."
"[Name], you're the one with the relationship."
"Relationship?" I squeak at her, my voice must have risen about three or four octaves. "I barely know that guy!"
Sadly.
"At least you've met him," she says bitterly. "And it looks like he wants to know you better, [name], just call him," she snaps and hangs up. She is so bossy sometimes. I frown at my cell, sticking my tongue out at it.
Wow, aren't we mature? My subconscious smirks at me, but I try to ignore her. She huffs and turns away; great!
I'm just leaving a message for Suigetsu when Kushimaru enters the stockroom looking for sandpaper.
"We're kind of busy out there, [name]," he says without acrimony.
"Yeah, um, sorry," I mutter an apology, turning around to leave.
"So, how come you know Sasuke Uchiha?" Kushimaru's voice is unconvincingly nonchalant.
"I had to interview him for our student newspaper. You know, my mother is the principle and Rin wasn't well." I shrug, trying to sound as casual as possible, and doing no better than him.
"Sasuke Uchiha in Momochi's. Go figure," Kushimaru snorts, amazement evident in his voice. He shakes his head as if meaning to clear it. "Anyway, want to grab a drink or something this evening?"
Whenever he's home he asks me on a date, and I always say no. It has quite become a ritual; for me at least. I've never considered it a good idea to date the boss's brother, and besides, Kushimaru is cute in a wholesome all-Japanese-boy-next-door kind of way, but he's not literary the hero, not by any stretch of imagination. Is Sasuke? my subconscious asks me, her eyebrows figuratively raised. I slap her down.
"Don't you have a family dinner or something like that for your brother?"
"That's tomorrow."
"Maybe some other time, Kushimaru, I need to study tonight. My finals are next week and I really want to graduate with the best grade possible for me."
"[Name]-chan, one of these days you'll say yes." He smiles as I escape to the store floor, letting out a giggle. "We'll see, Kushimaru."