Thirteen: Ashamed

**

Saturday, 12th October, 1996

This morning, it was the Quidditch game of Slytherin vs. Hufflepuff, and Patrick really wants me to come and see him play. I, however, couldn't think of anything worse. Everywhere I turned, people were still talking about what happened in the library. It was the talk of the castle.

What hasn't helped matters, was that any time Draco and I tried to talk yesterday, we were almost immediately interrupted by someone. He kept giving me these apologetic eyes, like he was screaming that he was sorrier than he ever had been.

Yesterday in Defence Against the Dark Arts, with five minutes to spare, Draco was called into Professor McGonagall's office. Everyone cheered and oohed, and all the Slytherin boys all congratulated him. That meant we weren't able to spend our free period together.

We were all sat in the common room, waiting for the Quidditch match to start, and all I could think about was the fact I would have to be watching Draco, and listening to all the gossip about us both. I kept trying to think of ways to get out of it instead of pitching in with the conversation.

A timid little second year boy cleared his throat and stared at us all like we were the scariest and terrifying looking group of people to exist. His cheeks were rosy-pink, and he couldn't look at any of us for too long.

"Hey there, sweetheart, how can we help you?" Megan smiled at the young boy,

"Sorry, I um- I have this to give to Maddie. Professor Snape g-gave it to me," the Hufflepuff boy squeaked.

His hands were shaking as he passed me the envelope. I recognised the slanted, small, and neat handwriting immediately. My heart fluttered, eager to read what he'd written. I was aware that everyone's eyes were on me.

Meet me by the Prefects common room. 11:00am when the Quidditch match starts. Please, my love. I know I'm probably the last person you want to see, but I need to talk to you. I'm thinking of you.

-D.M

I had to hide my smile as I read his words. I had to admit some confusion at why he was wanting to meet me when he was supposed to be playing Quidditch against my house. I didn't care too much, however.

"What's your owl say, Mads?" Hannah asked absentmindedly,

"Oh, you're going to have to apologise to Patrick for me, I can't make the Quidditch match this morning, I have a meeting with- someone. I can't get out of it," I took a deep breath, chewing on my bottom lip,

"Who with?" Zacharias asked, arching an eyebrow at me,

"It's private," I shrugged my shoulders slightly,

"Won't you tell me, Mads?" Hannah nudged my elbow,

"Madam Pomfrey," I whispered in her ear, hating myself for lying, but also relieved I had a credible reason to skip Quidditch and meet Draco,

"Tell me about it later, do you want me to come with you?" Hannah whispered back to me,

"No, that's okay, I'll be fine. Thank you though, babe, love you," I said, finally glad I could be honest for once.

Hannah nodded and held my hand. Everyone was looking at the two of us like we had gone completely insane.

"It's private," Hannah kissed my cheek.

Hannah then gave everyone a look that said, "you had all better change the conversation, now," and I've never been more grateful to have Hannah Abbott as my best friend.