II - The Hellions

THE HELL PIT
Sighisoara, Romania
September 2nd, 1948

WARNING: mentions of WW2, descriptions of a riot, blood

descriptions of a riot, blood

The people of Romania were rioting.

The magical community of Sighisoara was in an uproar.

Stones and shoes were being thrown against windows, shattering the glass into a thousand minuscule shards that fell onto the wet concrete street.

Wands were shot up into the air to send curses flying up towards the grand stone statue of Casimir Dumitrescu, the current Minister of Magic responsible for protecting the Romanian and Hungarian magical society.

Piece by piece the stone from the statue came crumbling down, hitting the ground with horrendous booms and clatters, some even falling atop multiple civilian's heads and causing immense bleeding from the gashes on their foreheads.

The disfigured carving of Dumitrescu still displayed the old sorcerer's long azure robes and silver streak in his long brown beard.

There were shouts of rage, and threats settled into the air as the mob only grew larger. Spaces packed so tightly that it was a wonder that any of them could breathe or move.

From deep within the shadows, Alena Sarbani watched.

The ministry guards and officials seemed to be outnumbered, one by one becoming engulfed in the chaos as the sky turned grey with smoke and rubble.

The street was completely blocked off, leaving Alena with no choice but to just stay back until she could find a way to squeeze past and get to her true destination.

She had heard of the multiple magical riots happening across the East of Europe, and that was exactly what drew her there.

It had been three years since the official end of the Second World War, but that did not mean that the world was done healing.

Romania's Muggle government was in a dreadful state too, she had heard, what with all the fascist political forces that rose to power and the choices that were made to fight along with the wrong side.

All citizens of the country were frightened, angry, upset, paranoid, brainwashed.

And Alena wanted to help.

After all, that was her job.

Alena moved around the crowd with her back up against the shops and house's walls, attempting to find an opening just so she could make it to the other side of the street.

Once she had found one, she dashed through the mob with her head hung low, and could finally breathe again after having distanced herself away from the rioters.