XII - Our Odious Beasts

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
December 17th, 1943
The Scottish Highlands

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY December 17th, 1943The Scottish Highlands

WARNING: Descriptions of a panic attack, brief description of a corpse, and squids squelching?

An odious beast slammed its weight against a wooden pair of locked cabinet doors.

It did not make a sound, did not scream or howl with rage and anguish as it sought freedom, it instead simply pounded on the doors with loud slams of loose flesh hitting lumber as students stood stock-still and circled around the rattling wardrobe.

Many watched with intrigue, flinching only slightly at the occasional clamorous bangs that the creature made, whereas others quivered with trepidation, hands pressed hard to their ears as they spoke of the foreboding wails of agony that had planted themselves into the psyche, stimulating the delicate nerves and causing an override of one's logical and calm reactions.

The only problem was that this creature was soundless.

Shined-up boots clicked against wooden flooring, and heads turned to meet kind cobalt eyes that skimmed across the spacious classroom.

Albus Dumbledore laced his hands behind his back, sending his pupils a bright smile as he moved through the parted crowd to the front of the room, leaning to whisper into professor Galatea Merrythought's ear.

The old Witch seemed to agree with Albus's words, and as she turned to face the class once again, the same bright smile that Dumbledore had somehow managed to muster had graced her features.

"In case you have not yet noticed the rather large wardrobe stood before you, I implore you all to take a careful look at it now and tell me what creature might reside in it's interior." Merrythought spoke with a rasp, pushing up circular spectacles as she hurriedly moved to stand with her sixth years.