| ten

╔══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮ ══════╗

𝗖𝗔𝗥𝗗𝗜𝗚𝗔𝗡

chapter ten:back in the upside down

chapter ten:
back in the upside down

╚══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮══════╝

IN ALL HONESTY, Serenity didn't know what the fuck she was doing.

She was never the best swimmer — that was more Steve's thing than hers. But yet her she was, diving under the water to find a Gate to the parallel dimension that not only haunted her mind but was out to kill her, trying to save her boyfriend.

And that was exactly why she had discarded all of the doubts in her head. Everything right now was Steve, Steve, Steve.

(Well, it always was. This time it was just more panicked.)

The water was dark, and it burned her eyes as she tried to keep them open to see where the fuck she was going. Then there came the burning in her lungs, begging her to take a breath. Her ears started to hurt from the pressure as she went deeper and deeper.

Finally, she found what she was looking for. Glowing bright red, sort of like the shade of red that she saw in Vecna's Upside Down kingdom, was the Gate. A complete fissure that had ripped the fabric of space and time, opening up a way to the Upside Down, surrounded by the vines that she had unfortunately become accustomed to.

There was no going back now. She couldn't even take a deep breath to prepare herself because she was fucking underwater, so all she did was dive in headfirst.

The feeling was absolutely indescribable. Whatever the Gate was made of slid against her skin, causing goosebumps to arise on her skin. Although she had been facing sort of downwards while swimming to the bottom of the lake, she came out on the other side upright. Serenity gasped for air as she pulled herself out of the Gate, landing on the ground of the Upside Down in a heap.

She pushed herself up at the sound of shouts. Serenity stumbled to her feet and looked over, only to see a completely deranged bat had its tail wrapped around Steve's neck while two others were biting at the skin of his stomach.

First Demogorgons, then Demo-Dogs, and now Demo-Bats. They just couldn't catch a fucking break, could they?

Her eyes widened as she glanced around. She immediately spotted a discarded oar on the ground near Steve. It might've not been the spiked bat, but it would have to do. Serenity picked it up and held it tightly in her hands.