| fifteen

╔══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮ ══════╗

𝗖𝗔𝗥𝗗𝗜𝗚𝗔𝗡

chapter fifteen:that was the night I nearly lost you

chapter fifteen:
that was the night I nearly lost
you

╚══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮══════╝

MAX WAS ALIVE.

Once the Gate had stopped ripping through the Creel house and everything had calmed down, Lucas had picked up Max's mangled body in his arms and carried her down the stairs, his sobs not quieting once. Serenity had trailed right behind him, the tears flowing like waterfalls down her cheeks. They brought her back outside, the sounds of sirens wailing in the distance — no doubt from Erica running all the way to downtown Hawkins to call an ambulance like Lucas had asked.

Lucas had set Max's body down on the soft grass away from the Gate opening, not letting her go once. Serenity had knelt down next to her, putting her head in her lap and letting the spiked bat rest next to her. However, as she stared down at Max, she started to hear . . . breathing. And it wasn't the labored ones from her, or the hiccups Lucas occasionally let out. This was coming from Max.

Not really wanting to believe it, Serenity reached out her hand and placed it on Max's chest. However, unlike how it had been back upstairs in the attic, it was . . . beating.

"Lucas," Serenity said, her voice trembling. "Her heart's beating."

"Renny," Lucas sobbed as the paramedics got closer to the house. "Don't give me false hope—"

"Lucas." Serenity looked at him, her eyes filled with tears. "Feel it."

She moved her hand away. Lucas sniffled and reached out, putting his hand where Max's heart was. His eyes immediately widened — he felt it. Serenity put a shaking hand over her mouth in shock. How could she be alive? She had been dead back in the attic, and it had been about a minute since then.

It didn't make sense. The fourth chime rang, signaling that four people had been killed. So how was Max's heart beating when she was previously dead?

"Oh my God," Serenity whispered.

"Renny!" Erica's voice shouted, and the sirens suddenly stopped. "Over here!"

Serenity looked up. Multiple ambulances were now outside of the Creel house, and Erica was leading paramedics up the stairs, avoiding the Gate.