11

'Sometimes, home is a person

'Sometimes, home is a person.'

With much reluctance, he finally left me alone in the room to get a good night sleep, as he called it, unknown to him that I haven't had a peaceful nights sleep in years.

I sat on the floor with my legs crossed, watching the clock ticking in front of me, waiting for the perfect opportunity to make my escape. I knew that it was foolish of me to leave the man who has given me so much help, but it was to protect both of us. He shouldn't have to be obliged to help some helpless girl he had unfortunately come across. I knew that my father must have already noticed my absence and he has probably got all of his friends looking for me.

I could handle the beatings he would give me when I'm forced to return home, but I would never be able to forgive myself if something happens to an innocent man who has done nothing wrong but to help a girl who doesn't even deserve it.

I knew how this would end, as it had happened before. An elderly woman had once found me severely bruised on a park bench a couple of years ago, and I was too weak to protest when she took me to her house to get bandaged up. Long story short, my father and his friends had discovered where I was and a couple of days later, I had found a crumpled-up newspaper article in the bin with a picture of the same elderly woman who had helped me, with a bold heading saying MURDERED above it.

That was once of the worst periods of my life. My mental health had gone so low that I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror without wanting to harm myself for my mistake. It was my fault and I couldn't live with myself. I should have denied her help and tried to get away but I didn't. It was since then that I felt as if I deserved all this pain. To be treated life a criminal, because that is what I was. A criminal.

I have the opportunity to do the right thing now, and to prevent history from repeating itself.

The clock struck three am and I knew that it was time to go. The window from the room I was in was too high to jump from, so I had no choice but to escape from the front door. It was risky but I knew that I had to do this to protect him. I pulled the sleeves of the hoodie I was wearing down and tied my hair up into a messy bun.

I was ready.

I quietly tip-toed towards the door and carefully opened it, stepping onto the heated marble flooring in the hallway. As if sensing my fear of the dark, he had left some dim lights on in the hallway which guided me to the grand staircase. I quickly looked around to see if anyone had seen me and once I was sure I was alone, I descended down the stairs.

I was so close to the exit, I could see the grand door in front of me, but before I could open it, something furry touched my foot.

It was a small dog.

The dog was tiny, with big innocent eyes. It had soft fur and the cutest little nose. I gave it a smile and crouched down to pet it, before seeing a white bandage wrapped around its left leg.