26

'Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten

'Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.'

It felt unusual to walk beside him.

Whenever I would have to walk with my father, I would always have to stay behind him. I was never allowed anywhere near him, let alone walk next to him.

It was nice to be able to go on a walk without wondering whether my father and his friends would catch me being somewhere other than at college or at the house.

I wonder what happed to my father.

Before I could even have the chance to ask him, he stopped walking and when I looked up, I saw that we were stood outside an orphanage.

He held the door open for me and I stepped in after whispering a thank you. Looking around, a smile made its way onto my face seeing all the happy children running around and playing games with each other.

When I was younger, I always wanted to have a sibling, a brother or sister to play with and to keep me company; but as I grew older, I was so grateful that I didn't. I wouldn't want anyone else to suffer through what I did.

Snapping me out of my thoughts, a little girl came running up to me.

"You're really pretty", she said, looking at me wither her gorgeous brown eyes.

"So are y-you", I whispered in her ear, making her blush immensely.

"My names Ava", she said with a big tooth grin.

"T-that's a beautiful name. I'm Lily", I said to her, giving her a warm smile in return.

"Zio Luci (Uncle Luci), is she a princess?", the little girl whispered to him, making my entire face heat up in embarrassment.

"Sì, she's beautiful isn't she?", he whispered back loud enough for me to hear.

Before she could reply, the other children began to notice our presence and ran up to us.

"Zio Luci! Zio Luci!", they all screamed, coming up to him and giving him a massive group hug.

You wouldn't have expected such a tall, muscular man such as himself to have such a friendly side with children but he was full of surprises.

It bought a smile to my face seeing how kind and carefree he was with all the kids and it allowed me to see a different side to him.

"Who's that?", a slightly older boy said, looking in my direction.

One by one, their curious eyes landed on me and I wanted the ground to swallow me up. I didnt like the attention being on me and it was as if he instantly sensed I was feeling uncomfortable as he began to speak to the children again.

"Her names Lily. Shes new around here, so you have to be on your best behaviour to make her feel welcome, sì?", he said, making sure all of the children were listening.

They all gave a nod and began to ask him what he had bought in his backpack today.

After showing them all the treats he had packed in his bag for them, they all eagerly sat down on the tables around the room and waited for the food to be warmed up.

They were all so polite, saying please and thank you as we distributed the food out. They were sitting excitedly, talking to each other about their day and what they are going to do after they've eaten. Some of them were even taking turns to pet Forza before getting told to eat first before the food gets cold.

I was sat between him and the same little girl who came up to me when we first arrived.

"Zia Lily (Aunt Lily), are you Zio Luci's girlfriend?", she asked curiously, making me nearly choke on the water I was drinking.

Luckily for me, he was in deep conversation with another group of children and so didn't hear the question she asked.

"N-No", I whispered to her, shaking my head to double confirm how wrong she was.

"Oh. It's just that Zio Luci never brings a girl when he comes to visit us", Ava said, taking a bit of her syrup infused waffle.

He's never bought a girl here.

Then why would he bring me here?

"Stai bene?", he whispered, his hot breath fanning against my ear, making my body erupt in goosebumps.

I gave him a small thumbs up and then mentally slapped myself for being so embarrassing.

A thumbs up, really?

He didn't seem to care about my awkwardness as he just shot me a cheeky smirk in reply.

Being that composed should be illegal.

How is he so calm and collected whilst Im sitting here with my cheeks on fire?

After the kids finished eating, we all helped in clearing up and after many heart-warming goodbyes and promises to come and visit again soon, we began the walk back to his house.

Like last time, we were both walking side by side whilst Forza was running off ahead.

We eventually made it back to his house and just as he was about to say something to me, he got a text.

"Sof came over and left some clothes for you on your bed", he said, putting his phone in his pocket and signalling towards the staircase.

I followed him upstairs and we stopped in the hallway between his room and the one hes letting me sleep in.

"We'll leave in about half an hour, sì?", he said, making me reply with a small nod. You know where to find me if you need me.

Almost as if he was reluctant to go back into his room, he gave me a final smile before going into his room and shutting the door.

Family dinner, here I come.