Recuperation

I woke up, and he was there beside me, holding my hand and sprawled out in the uncomfortable hospital escort chair, I didn't want to wake him up, but it was only when I straightened up in bed that his tired eyes opened. He straightened in his chair and took a long stretch.

"Hey my princess."

Just two words could came out of my mouth.

"I'm sorry."

I said in a whisper.

"Apologize for what?"

"For not listening to you, for putting me in danger without thinking about the consequences, and for making you suffer through it all."

I said sighing and looking down, I felt bad for making him suffer with it, I can't imagine what he went through looking for me, and not being able to tell anyone about us.

"No, don't be sorry."

He took my hand and looked deep into my eyes.

"I should apologize for having meddled in your decision. But I confess I freaked out when I realized you were kidnapped, and just thinking about the possibility of losing you... I... I don't even like to remember. You're my whole world. And I I really needed to apologize to Grasser, I was an insubordinate idiot to him."

"Glad you know George."

The voice was that of Grasser, who silently entered the room with a bouquet of flowers in his hands.

"Boss, I need to apologize for my behavior..."

Before Grasser could respond, the rest of the team entered the room. We were confused, but it was nice to see our friends.

"How long have you been together?"

The voice was Candice's, and she asked in a casual tone, as if she were asking about the weather.

"From day one."

I answered kind of without thinking, in a whisper, my voice was weak and sleepy from the medication.

"I knew it."

Wallace said as Sara handed some money, they had bet how long we were together.

To my surprise none of them reacted with astonishment.

"How did you know? And since when?"

George asked confused, thinking we were doing a good job of hiding the relationship.

"I was sure when you were completely overprotective and insubordinate when she applied for the mission, and when you moved heaven and earth to find her, no rest, no sleep, no going home and no sparing efforts."

I looked at George at that moment with gratitude, he looked back at me with a smirk, but I knew he was responsible for finding me and saving my life. My chest filled with love at that moment.

"But I already suspected because you always arrived together, and you smelled like the same soap."

Grasser completed.

A silence took over the room for a few seconds.

"And now? "

George asked worried about what might happen.

Transfer us maybe?

Change partners?

"Now? The precinct doesn't have a policy against relationships, and you guys have the best crime-solving rate in town. We need to separate the personal from the professional, and the situations of yesterday and today can NEVER be repeated, especially insubordination, George. But other than that, I believe there will be no problems."

I couldn't believe that problem was solved so quickly. I had wasted many sleepless nights wondering how we were going to tell, but maybe the fact that I was kidnapped and beaten by a serial killer made the process easier.

We talked for a long time in the hospital, they were keeping us company until they released my release. They told me how George freaked out after I was kidnapped and that he really went to great lengths to find me, like everyone there. The entire precinct made a task force.

My eavesdropping sound turned on as they reached and heard the sounds of trains, moreover they followed the van that kidnapped me to some extent, and triangulating the railroad signs and route, they found out an area I was supposed to be.

Added to the information that special crimes already had on the killer, and as we knew he was a professor at the academy, they discovered that he was really a physical education teacher, who signed up as a personal from academy to academy looking for his targets, gathering the data found his name and a shed rented in that name.

The fact that they got it in time for him not to beat me to death, could have just been luck.

My discharge came out and it was time to go home.

"Just to make it clear to your doctor that you have a 2 week certificate, so no showing up at the police station to work until your certificate is up."

Grasser told me as he leafed through my discharge papers.

"Agreed, I'm just going to visit you guys."

I replied smiling.

"You're not staying at the hotel are you?"

Sara asked me with a worried face, and it really wasn't the best place for me to recover.

"No way, I'm taking you to my house, and that's not a question."

George was talking helping me get my leg out of the bed in a cast.

"And I'm going to take alternating shifts with him so I don't leave you alone during the day if you need anything."

Sara spoke as she also helped me up.

"Guys, I'm fine, I'm serious, you don't need all that."

"Oh yeah? So walk alone."

George released me to my feet, I narrowed my eyes in disapproval and tried to walk along dragging my clumsy cast leg with it.

Everyone laughed, and George came to help me right away.

"Alright, maybe help getting around wouldn't be bad."

A nurse brought me a wheelchair and George took me home. He went to the hotel and got more clothes from me, but I already had pretty much everything in his house too. After a long conversation we decided that it would be a waste of money to keep the room at the hotel, so I would live with George temporarily at least.

I won't say it was easy to be "taken care of" in that time, I was used to not depending on anyone, it was just a broken leg and a belly injury, but it made it difficult for me to move and neither George nor Sara left me alone for a long time. Even Candice, Teddy and Wallace stopped by to visit me, and even though I begged George to bring some paperwork if he wants to, he really let me rest and made me marathon the old movies he liked and I had never seen.