𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘩𝘰𝘮𝘦

ॱ⋅.˳˳.⋅˙ॱᐧ.˳˳.⋅ઇଓ

     "how much longer?" matt's gravelly voice traveled through the receiver, sounding much more tired on your end. or maybe be really was that tired.

     "a month."

     "..."

     "it'll be over before you know it, i promise," you sighed, feeling your lungs tightening inside your chest. "i really miss you."

     "i miss you, too, love. every day."

"it's hard being so far. i wish i was home."

"hey, only a month, remember?" matt hummed, "this is a big deal for you. enjoy it while you can."

     "you're right. like always," you chuckled.
every time you spoke to matt on the phone, he spoke gentler than the last time, silently missing you more with every day you're away from home. and he only heard a fraction of how much you missed him, too- you held back your tears for him, so he wouldn't worry. sometimes that was easier said than done, though, like right about now. you felt them coming, so you decided it was time to finish up.
"listen, it- it's late for me here, so i'm gonna go to bed, okay? i'll text you when i wake up, i promise,"

     "oh. yeah, of course. get some sleep college girl." you could hear the frown so clearly you nearly burst into tears right then.

     "i love you so much, matty. please get some sleep."

     "don't worry about me. i love you, too, angel."

ઇଓ

studying abroad has been nothing short of a dream. leaving home has always been something you hesitated to do, because you're a very poor flyer and you didn't want to leave your boyfriend behind. matt was fairly reliant on you and vice versa- being without him sounded like the scariest nightmare. but you had an opportunity to study for a semester in paris, and that was just something you couldn't pass on. after talking it through with matt, he was more ecstatic for you to go than you were, which was surprising since you expected a bit of push back. but he's the best boyfriend, so of course there was none.
paris was everything you'd dreamed it might be and more. you made it your mission to find the best patisserie in the city, which was a blissful endeavor. you traveled on trains and stayed in hostels every free day you had, visited every lush garden and ancient church and museum, and you took beautiful photos on the film camera nick had gifted you before you left for the semester- you made sure to take nice photos of the landscapes, and then got a stranger to take a photo of you, too. you knew the boys wanted to see you in all your favorite spots.

the semester was intensive and difficult to adjust to at first, and with every passing day you wished more and more that you were home. but lucky for you, your professors gave their finals early. with passing grades you planned to flaunt, you packed your bags and moved your flight home up an entire week earlier than expected. you let nick and chris know, and the three of your planned to surprise matt with your return.

matt had missed you a lot more than he let on, and you would've been completely oblivious to it if not for his brothers sneaking behind his back to tell you all about it. the two of you made a pact that every night before bed you would talk on the phone; you were concerned about the six hour gap between your time zones, but matt didn't care. he would wake up in the middle of the night to answer with the sunny smile that made your heart ache and ask you all about your trip, ordering that you spare no detail. he seemed so happy to hear from you from those calls alone, but you kew that wasn't the case.
nick and chris texted you daily about matt, getting you up to speed on his moods and when his days were bad. if the boy ever found out all, three of you would certainly be dead- he hates being babied!- but they were worried about him, and so were you. with you across the world, matt was more upset than anyone had seen him in a long time. he either slept far too long, or not at all; he seemed uninterested in going out, and was quick to snap and lose his temper with his brothers. they even told you about the anxiety attack matt had in the drive-thru just three days after you left- he freaked out, opened the door, and walked into the open parking lot to sit on the curb. chris was forced to get behind the wheel and pull the car around.
     once texts stopped being sufficient enough for all three of you, the boys called you every few days to talk and fill you in on how matt was doing.