𝘤𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘺

ॱ⋅.˳˳.⋅˙ॱᐧ.˳˳.⋅ઇଓ

it wasn't in matt's nature to be jealous or overprotective. he was usually the one who got protected- be it by his brothers for most of his life, or by you. but the addition of you created a new facet to matt's personality, and one that he kept a secret- well, tried to keep a secret. and it was working for a while.
when you and matt first got together, he was so hands-off you actually had to ask him to care a little more. he couldn't stop laughing at the request, but he obliged (you didn't know he was relieved to hear you say it.) from then on, he listened; he cared a lot but not so much you felt suffocated, and he loved everything you wore, and he let you do whatever you want, and gave you space. he read you like a book, like he knew exactly what you needed- like it was in his blood.

     you never knew how thick that blood ran until tonight.

     matt had stayed home during the day while you accompanied his brothers on a trip to the grocery store with laura. while you were out, nick had orchestrated what he dubbed "a big family dinner" with his brothers, you, and all of your friends. the boy reserved a big outdoor table at saddle ranch and invited everyone- madi, malcolm, tril, sabrina, and just about every other friend they had in their circle. to you, this was intimidating but seemed like fun; it could be overwhelming to be in such a big group, but you loved to talk to everyone and get yourself out there when you could. for matt, though, this was a lot. he wasn't a group person, and even if he loved everyone there, he was quick to fall victim to his anxious overstimulation. when you got back to the boys' apartment and informed him of his mandatory plans, he made you swear not to leave his side in case he got nervous, and you did him better with a pinky promise.

     your first indication that matt was on edge was the attitude he had behind the wheel. chris tried to take shotgun when you guys were leaving for dinner, which is something you often let him do so he could dj the car rides. chris was halfway into the passenger seat when matt grew frustrated.

     "no. you sit in the back," he grumbled, looking over his shoulder at you and saying, "and you sit with me up front."

     "matt, i don't mind-" you tried to reason, but he cut you off.

     "i want you up front."

     chris failed to interject a, "dude-"

     "just shut up, alright?" matt cut his brother off, "i want my girlfriend up front."

     "jesus. you don't need to be an asshole about it." chris huffed, and you offered him an apologetic look as the two of you switched car spots.

     when you slid into matt's passenger side, he was quick to collect your hand. the boy tugged your arm across the glove compartment so that your interlaced hands could rest on his thigh, and you furrowed your brows at the gesture. he always liked to keep two hands on the wheel, yet here he was, refusing to let go of your hand while he drove during the dinner rush traffic in los angeles. but you didn't say a word- you just enjoyed the feeling of his thumb rubbing slowly against the skin of your palm.

     when you got to the restaurant, the hostess sat you and the boys down at a huge table with a few friends already there. you stole the corner, because you know matt likes to be tucked away, and he sat right beside you; the boy even scooted his chair closer so that his knee was touching yours. you smiled awkwardly as he took your hand again, and turned to look at him.

"is everything okay?" you asked, "nervous already?"

the boy looked around the table and the restaurant with suspicious eyes, and then nodded. you noticed the tension in his jaw and frowned. "something like that," he said.