Chapter 11: Sanctuary Pt.4

I've never seen another child aside from Grogu

I've never seen another child aside from Grogu. My old master use to say I was special. One of a kind, young and pretty, soft and easy. I didn't need distractions.

That's why their blood is on my hands.

My nerves bundled into a knot, rooted deep in my stomach. I've never been around so many children.

"Everyone, they're here!" People crowded us, children, women, men, everyone. I felt my heart pounding inside my chest. My breathes short as the nerves I've been trying so hard to contain have slipped out.

I felt short of breathe. I felt like an animal being backed into a corner. They were like gates closing in on me. Crowds make me scared. Everything makes me scared.

Maybe i am better off dead.

Children giggled and awed at Grogu whom sat in my arms excitedly looking at the children. I frowned as I clutched him tighter to my chest. He was happy to see the children. I frowned as some children made eye contact with me, most looking me up and down. I felt self-conscious, my street clothes dirty and bloody. I have not changed clothes since meeting the Mandalorian and now I really wish I had. Some gave me small smiles, others ignored my presence only to gawk at the tiny green baby in my arms.

Why are they smiling? Why do they look so happy?

"Almana." My eyes snap to Mando, whom holds out a hand towards me, to help me out of the wagon. I nod slowly, getting up- clutching Grogu to me- and taking his gloved hand.

He gives my hand a slight squeeze as i stand beside him, comforting.

"You okay?" He questions. I clutch his hand as I look at everyone. Why are they dressed so nicely? I glance at my clothing and back to them. My bare feet grimy and bloody. I frown.

My eyes meet a girls in the crowed, around my age and very pretty, her hair clean and looked shiny. Her dress is blue, her shoes brown, her eyes crinkled as she smiles with another boy our age.

Why don't I look like her? My brows furrowed, I could feel the nerve between my brows becoming sore from the hard frowns I've been doing.

I truly felt disgusted with myself- a feeling I was all to familiar with. She's clean, I'm sure she has a nice family, with a mom and a dad and a dog or a sibling. I'm sure she has friends and can read or write. I'm sure she can laugh and I'm sure she is pure.

In the back of my mind, all I could think was why me?

"Almana." A hand lays on top of my head making me jump in fright. The hand immediately retracting quickly. I look to see Mando staring at me.