Chapter 5: The Sin

Chapter 5: The Sin

My eyes slowly flutter open

My eyes slowly flutter open. I'm still laying on the cot, wrapped in blankets. I snuggle further into them, inhaling the scent and enjoying the warmth surrounding me.

I try to imagine, waking up everyday feeling safe and engulfed in the warmth and comfort of a nice home, with people who love me.

This is the first time I feel warm and a shine of happiness fills me. I let a small smile adorn my face as I even my breathing into a steady rhythm. It must be nice, to wake up like this everyday.

"You're awake."

My eyes quickly snap open. And reality set in as I look at the familiar helmet. But my life isn't nice. It's not perfect, it's not lovely, hell it's not even decent.

Life sucks and reality hits hard.

I sit up as he continues. "We'll be landing soon. Be ready." He advises as he goes to leave. Landing? This is it.

I could be walking to my death right now or worse things could come into play, I could be a toy, or a science experiment, being prodded.

And I have to bite back tears. I'm gonna miss this, even if Mando isn't the most open person, I'd miss this all.

I bite my lip. I need to know, I need to know what'll happen to me, I need to prepare, I need to pray to the galaxy above to help me. So, I can't help, but let the words slip before I can bite my tongue.

"I-I'm going to d-die?"

He freezes at my words and for a split moment I'm afraid. Afraid he might hit me, afraid he might yell, afraid he might release his anger out by touching me in ways I have come to pray for the sweet relief of my death.

But then my fears vanish. He's good, I remind myself. He's kind, and he's different no matter how much I want to believe otherwise.

I take in a deep breathe, and I repeat my words quietly. "I'm going to die, aren't I?" I whisper my fears, I whisper my concern, I whisper my thoughts, because I can't bear to carry them alone anymore.

He's the bounty hunter, maybe, just maybe he has an idea what they might do to me and the child. I need to know what's going to happen, I can't be left in the dark anymore. I hate the dark, I hate it.

"I-I don't know."

And then he's gone. That was the first time I heard the Mandalorian stutter. The first time his voice broke, the first time he seemed unsure of himself.

I bite my lip as a loud sob echoed throughout the room. I couldn't keep myself calm, I couldn't help it. I cried to myself, prayed to the galaxy around me that everything would be alright. It couldn't end like this.

I didn't know during the time, that Mando stayed listening to me outside the doorway, feeling conflicted.