Chapter 12: The Gunslinger

______________________________

Chapter 12: The Gunslinger

_________________________

I'm frozen. My mind goes into overdrive as I watch the red beam aim right at his chest.

No.
No.
No.
No.

That's all I can think. My breathing fastens as I try to gain control over my emotions. I can't lose him. My hands shake frantically. I won't lose him.

And then I felt it. 

I felt the anger of having to lose another person I've grown to care about.

I felt the hate of having to witness the children cry for their family and their home.

But most importantly, I felt that fear again, the fear of having to witness innocent people die.

My hand shot out without my control. I felt my sweat roll down my neck as my hand shook uncontrollably. I slowly tried to close my hand into a fist, but it felt near impossible- like a force was keeping it from closing.

I kept my eyes on the AT-ST and watched as it creaked loudly, the red light that aimed at Mandos chest flickered on and off grabbing his attention as he now took down the raiders that surrounded him.

Looking up at the loud creaking and stalling AT-ST.

I gritted my teeth, I felt as though my arm was about to fall off. I groaned as I kept trying to clench my fist.

This thing sickens me. It's destroyed the peace they held here. For a flash of a second, I pictured that machinery as my old master. I remember the peace he destroyed in me.

My eyes hardened.

And just like that, I screamed in anger as I balled my fist tightly and slammed my hand on the ground causing me to cry out as I felt it crack.

"GET DOWN!" Screams erupted. 

I was tackled to the floor as my ears rang from the explosion. My eyes blurry as I was pushed into the dirt by a solid force. Shutting my eyes, I tried to calm myself. I tried to stay awake. I was exhausted, I felt nearly dead, again.

It was quiet. The ringing faded out and I could only hear cheers of victory in the background. I felt myself shaking as I focused on the worried voice above me.

"Wake up! Dammit wake up, kid!"

I feel as though I'm underwater. The voice a blur-distant and unrecognizable.

I want to stay underwater. I'm warm, it's quiet, and I'm floating in a facade of emptiness.

But I'm not hallow. Not anymore. I can wake up to someone, I can hear him, and I can feel his hands gripping my shoulders, hands shaky and grip tight- desperate. I don't have to feel alone anymore.

He's guiding me without even knowing it.

I can choose. For the first time in my life I have a choice. And I'm choosing him. I'm choosing to tread water because he's waiting on the other side.