Chapter 2: The Children

My head pounded, but my side hurt worse

My head pounded, but my side hurt worse. What happened? Did he-oh god no...please. Immediately tears begin to form as I groan in pain.

I flutter my eyes open only to be met with the dark sky above me, the stars shinning brighter than I've ever seen them. Am I dead?

"You're awake." His voices speaks out into the quiet night. I slowly turn my head to my right immediately seeing the campfire that's been made to keep us warm as we are in the middle of nowhere. The next thing I notice, are that the bounds around my ankles and wrists are gone.

I turn to see the armored man sitting opposite of me, he grunts as it looks like he's tending to a wound, with some type of pen? I don't know much, when did he get hurt? During the shoot out? What happened? Why am I alive? Why am I here? With him? What's going on?

Questions buzz around my head that it makes me groan in pain as I hold it. The last thing I remember was-I cut my own thoughts off as I quickly reach my hand to the back of my neck, feeling nothing.

What-

"How old are you?" His voice wavers a bit as he finishes up tending to his wound, but he leaves no room for ignoring the question, it comes out more of a demand than a question in general.

So he is like my owner?

I quickly sit up, groaning as I hold my side; however, I quickly look down when I feel the bandaged material. He-he, fixed me?

Wait. He-he touched me?

My hands start to shake as I brush my bandaged side, staring at him in fear. I have to ask, I have to.

"D-did you-" he cuts me off with a nod, making me want to throw up.

"I addressed your wounds, now answer the question." He demands. Wounds? I didn't-that's not what I meant.

I take a deep breathe as I quickly try to ask once more, I need to know, if so, I know I'm not safe with this man, and I need to escape.

"No." I state without a stutter. This seems to shock not only myself with how bold I sounded, but the man too.

He looks up from finishing his wound and stares at me, although I can't read his expression, he's staring with a slight head tilt.

"I-I mean, d-did you..t-touch me?" I curse myself in my head, as I once again sound so weak; however, I can clearly hear the sharp intake of breathe he does even beneath the helmet, as silence surrounds us.

I look down quickly as he still stares at me, was that a yes? Tears form in my eyes making it blurry as I stare at the floor beneath me.

"No." My head quickly snaps up to meet his helmets gaze. What-

"I only addressed your wounds. That's it." He finalizes clearly and his voice seems angry, did I upset him? Is he mad that I accused him? My hands shake as I rest them in my lap.