Chapter One

words: 935 |||| trigger warning for torture pt. 1

Icarus stumbled as the Shadow threw him into the room, splashing in the few inches of water that filled it. He hissed in pain, struggling to catch his breath as every time he inhaled, he was met with a sharp burning pain in his chest. They had removed his tactical gear, leaving him in only his socks, his dark pants and his blue turtleneck. The man looked down at the water, and his now soaking wet socks with visible disgust, "Really guy? Wet socks? Gross." He joked dryly.

As Icarus looked down, his long dark hair fell over his face. He whipped his head back in an attempt to move it, unable to use his hands as they had bound them together beforehand.

The sounds of someone approaching alerted Icarus and he stood tall, looking down the hallway with a glare, "Ah. Graves. How's it been?" Icarus stared at the American, slightly smirking as he saw the burn scars on his face, "You look awful."

"Hmph. Very funny Icarus." Graves turned to a Shadow, holding his hand out. The Shadow gave him what seemed to be a button for something, and Icarus' heart dropped. He cast a glance down to the water then back up to Graves, who gave his own smirk, "I'm assuming you know what happens here. You tell me what I need to know and I kill you, or you don't and I do this." He pressed the button.

Icarus jolted, pain shooting through his body as the water was electrified, "Agghhh-!" He gasped and fell to his knees when the electric shock stopped, breathing heavily. He already felt like he was about to pass out, his breathing coming in short bursts as his ribs hurt, "..M-Man.." He huffed out, "That.... Fuck, that sucked.." Icarus looked back up to Graves, his eyes heavy, "I mean... You could have just told me what was gonna happen.."

"Yea but," Graves crouched down to get eye level with Icarus, "That would have been less fun." The older American stared at Icarus as his head drooped, tilting his head slightly, "Don't tell me you're done already? That's kinda pathetic."

Icarus cackled a bit, looking up to glare at him, "Definitely not, though I will be if you do that again. Try falling out of a tree. Shit hurts, Philly boy." He grinned at the use of the name, and as Graves' face contorted to one of annoyance.

"I would shock you simply 'cause you're annoying but I still need my questions answered." Graves shifted to a position where he was sitting on the floor, his elbows on his knees, "What intel do you have on the Shadows, and Shepard?"

Icarus found his way to his feet again, looking around the room for something, anything to stand on. If his hands were free, he'd be able to grab onto the bars of the small window. But they weren't and thus, he was fucked. He sighed heavily, turning his gaze back to Graves, "Well, there is one thing..." Icarus offered, "But in return you have to undo my hands."

Graves stared curiously at Icarus for a second, "Hm." The click of a button was heard. Icarus fell to his side, shaking as he was electrocuted. All of his breath was lost to him and his vision began to grow dark. Graves looked somewhat entertained at the other's suffering, and when Icarus saw that, a pool of anger filled his chest.

Although he couldn't breath, and he knew damn well he was about to pass out, Icarus fought his way up onto his elbows and knees. The shock ended and Icarus drew in a long breath, his body trembling as he tried to hold himself up, "S-s-seems like.... I've got m-more in me.." Icarus cackled, not even attempting to stand again. Black dots danced over his vision as he stared into the water at his own face. His dark eyes stared back, and Icarus stared at the mess that he called his face. Scars littered it, some superficial and some that really looked like they hurt.

An actual full chuckle escaped his throat and he rolled off of his elbows to lay on his back in the water. He tilted his head back to look at Graves, his hand on his side where he knew for sure his ribs were broken, "Ya know, you'll end up killing me before you get any answers. Wait!" Icarus called, seeing Graves tighten his grip on the button, "I mean that I'll probably die from asphyxiation. It's kinda hard to breathe with broken ribs, so adding electric shock with that is actually gonna kill me. Listen," He wheezed in a breath, "Hear that. Bad idea, big man. Bad idea."

Graves stared at Icarus. Never once has he had someone he was 'interrogating' talk this much, especially not about things that don't pertain to his questions. But, he always knew Icarus was a strange man. This was actually the first time he saw his face.

Icarus wasn't like Ghost. He didn't wear a mask to cover his face all the time. Icarus was just... never seen. By anyone except Captain Price of course. Not even General Shepard had seen his face, which had actually shocked Graves when he heard.

The man leaned his head back down to stare at the ceiling, his grin fading into a nonchalant look. Icarus spoke casually, his eyes aimed at the light as his hair flowed out into the water he was in, "Do your worst, Graves. I guarantee I've been through worse."