Chapter 11 and 12

Chapter Eleven

Icarus pulled the keys from the ignition, letting the engine die. He looked behind him to see Ghost still asleep in the backseat, and a small smile found its way to Icarus’ face. He opened the car door and climbed out before approaching the back door. Icarus opened it quietly, reaching a hand out and touching the top of Ghost’s head gently. “Simon,” He cooed, “We’re back at the base.”

Ghost’s eyes opened, meeting Icarus’ with a confused look. He groaned as he sat himself up and adjusted his mask, speaking through it, “You put it on me while I was asleep?”

“Yessir,” Icarus extended a hand for Ghost to take, helping him out of the car with a chuckle, “As much as I wanted to continue looking at your face, I figured you wouldn’t be too pleased with the rest of the team knowing.” The man brushed long hair from his face, checking over Ghost’s injured shoulder, “Good. You toss and turn in your sleep, you know that?”

“I’ve been told.” Ghost commented, looking at his recently stitched wound. He stretched his arm with a visible look of discomfort before looking back at Icarus with gleaming eyes. “We need to continue where we left off sometime.” He mumbled, turning to the base and approaching it.

With a smirk, Icarus slipped up to Ghost’s side, falling into step with him. He smacked the man’s side gently with the back of his hand, looking up to speak to him, “Damn right we do. Does that mean I get to finally see your room?”

“You wish.” Ghost was right, Icarus did wish. But he didn’t push it anymore as the two walked through the door. It was just them, or they thought.

“Ghost. New guy.” A familiar voice greeted them and Icarus looked around, spotting the familiar face of the Los Vaqueros leader. Through a grin, Alejandro spoke again, “I heard you were on a mission. Welcome back.” He pointed towards Ghost’s wound, “Whichever doctor stitched you up did a good job.”

“That would be me.” Icarus watched Ghost clasp hands with Alejandro before extending a hand for the man to shake. “And I’m not new. Icarus.” He introduced himself and his grin only grew upon seeing the realization and recognition grow on Alejandro’s face.

“Rudy!” Alejandro called for his second in command, who stood up from behind the counter with a pot in his hands, “Check it out. It’s Overwatch.” Icarus locked eyes with Rudolfo, grinning as the other man’s eyes lingered on his face.

After a moment of staring, Rudolfo put the pot down and set the oven mitts to the side. He made his way around the counter and took Icarus’ hand when it was offered, “El Sin Rostro. It’s a pleasure.” Icarus released his hand, tapping Rudolfo’s shoulder once before stepping back. Rudolfo made his way back behind the counter, lifting the pot. “I made lunch. You two are free to join.”

“Of course. Thank you, Rudy.” Icarus dipped his head and smacked Ghost’s side again, this time a bit rougher. Ghost looked down at him with the signature side-eye, earning a chuckle from Alejandro. “We’ll be right back. Gots to get the big guy here a new shirt.” Alejandro chuckled again when Ghost completely turned his head to glare.

The pair went through the door to their left, walking down the hall that connected some of the rooms to the cafeteria. They stopped in front of a door and Ghost stared at Icarus for a while before speaking, “Stay out here.” Icarus stared up at Ghost with dark eyes, almost fluttering his eyelashes.

“Wow, that’s so unlike you. Disobeying direct orders. Shake my head.” Icarus did as he said and shook his head, earning a look from the taller man.

“What orders am I disobeying?” Ghost questioned, raising a brow.

Icarus cackled and reached his hand for the doorknob, “Well, you’re supposed to stay with me at all times.” Ghost grabbed his wrist and pushed past him, opening the door to his room and closing it behind him just as quickly. Icarus laughed loudly and leaned against the wall next to the door, “I’ll see your room someday, big man.” He heard rustling in Ghost’s room, a slight grunt, and then a thud. Knocking on the door, he called through to his teammate, “You alright in there, Simon?”