Part 3

Pryleton looked very different from Tillwood. First of all, almost everything looked like it was cleaned daily. It probably was. Secondly, almost everywhere Verena looked, there was always a jewelry shop within sight. Also, the weather seemed immaculate, the sun was out, the trees were green, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. That was probably the weirdest thing. In Tillwood, Verena couldn't remember a single day where it didn't rain. She looked around some more until she got a little hungry. She saw a big pub that sold pints with warm stew. She walked in and got her sack of coins out of her pocket. When she got up to the counter and asked for a pint of beer and stew, her eyes went wide as the pub worker said the price.

"Maybe just the pint." She said, chuckling nervously. Gosh, everything was so much more expensive here. She couldn't wait to just kill this guy and get home. She heard a bunch of voices behind her. She turned to see a group of people huddled around something. She paid and got her pint.

"Hey, what's going on over there?" She asked the barkeep.

"It's Lucian Bryonhill, everyone wants to get a glimpse of him before he leaves town."

"Oh. And when is that?"

"Don't know, but he's probably gonna be here for a couple more days."

"Oh." She took a seat where the target couldn't see her, and started sipping on her pint. She kept looking back to see if he was still there. Once people started to clear out, that's when she got down to business. She chugged her beer and set it down harshly. Verena waited for Lucian to get far away from the bar, so she could keep a good distance from him. Once he started to get close to the houses, she left the pub and followed him. She made sure to stick to the sides of the houses, slipping behind them whenever he looked back. He had started to speed up. She kept going after him, but as she turned a corner after him, he disappeared. She ran forward and continued looking around. He couldn't have gotten far. She heard a twig snap behind her. She grabbed the dagger from her belt and turned, arm out, ready to attack. Lucian was standing about five feet from her. He didn't even look at the dagger.

"Hello there, mind telling me why you're following me?"

"Isn't it obvious?" She said, lunging and pinning him against the house next to them. "I'm trying to kill you." Lucian pouted and flipped them around to pin her against the house.

"And why are you trying to kill me?" He seemed unphased by her statement, which annoyed Verena. She pushed him off of her, easily. Too easily. It almost seemed like he wasn't trying.

"I can't tell you that." She crouched low to the ground, ready to fight. He just stood there staring at her, with his hands clasped behind his back. She ran at him, pushing her dagger out to stab him, but when he moved to the side, all she got was air. She spun herself around, cutting the air around him, but was never able to reach him before he moved. He kept dodging. Every time she punched, he blocked, she kicked, and he moved. At this point, Verena was incredibly frustrated. She kicked his side, but he grabbed her leg and pushed her, making her tumble to the ground. She grunted as he kneeled on her, stopping her from moving away.

"What's your name?"

"Olivia."

"Is that your real name?"

"Yes."

"No, it's not. Well, this was fun. I do hope to see you again, and good luck with trying to kill me." He stood up and walked away. Verena jumped up after him, but as she got up, he was already gone. She swore under her breath, and punched the house next to her, tearing the skin on her knuckles.