Part 4

She sulked as she wandered the strange town. Seeing people she didn't recognize, seeing places she never knew of, she didn't even know where she was going. She found the nearest inn and booked a room, but it was too expensive.

"I'll be right back, I seem to have forgotten my satchel at home." She smiled at the innkeeper. She went into the nearest jewelry shop.

"Oh, dear!" She said in a fake posh accent. "I am in such a hurry! I need your biggest jewel! Only the best."

"Of course Miss!" As the lady ran into the back to grab it, Verena opened the register and stuffed all of the coins into her pocket, and left.

"Here you go." She said, in her normal accent to the innkeeper. "That should be enough." The innkeeper looked at the money, then looked at her.

"Sure," he handed her the keys. "Enjoy your stay." She went up the stairs and went into her room. It was dirty, old, and reeked, but it was better than her house. She looked in the drawers and cupboards for any money or things that people left behind, it was a tradition whenever she went somewhere. Lucian was only going to be in town for a couple more days, so Verena needed to hurry. She dropped her coat on the bed and realized that she didn't bring anything on her journey. She would just have to buy some extra clothes in the morning. She could just go down to the houses and see if anyone was drying their clothes and nick a pair of trousers and a blouse. If she was lucky, she might catch a servant doing a noble's laundry, those tended to be fancy and nice. She untied her boots, slipped off her pants, and slept in her undergarments and her shirt. Before she fell asleep, she wondered where Lucian was. Probably in his big mansion, surrounded by wealth and servants, sleeping on fine, soft, silk sheets. Slowly, Verena drifted off to sleep, the sounds of clattering dishes, loud and drunk customers, and the ringing of the bell above the door. She woke up to bright morning light streaming through the window, and the smell of morning rum, if there was such a thing. She put on her clothes that were thrown across the room. She headed downstairs and ordered a glass of whiskey with the remaining money she had in her pockets. She gulped down the drink and made her way down the street toward the houses. She eventually came across a lawn with some clothes that were hung drying. She looked through the clothes until she found a man's trousers and a lace-up shirt. They weren't that nice, but better than most of her clothes. She went behind one of the houses and quickly changed, leaving her clothes in a ditch. The clothes were a little bit big on her, but that was fine, she could try to adjust them with some string. She started to walk around the town, thinking of her next move. She checked all the newspapers, but there was nothing about Lucian. She decided to take a walk around the town square to clear her head. She was staring up at the sky, breathing in the clean air. She heard a twig snap behind her, but when she turned around no one was there. Probably just a squirrel. She continued walking through the forest, not in any specific direction. Just forward. She thought about more ways to find and kill Lucian. She could just ask around, but that could take a while and would build suspicion. She also could just look for him but that would take ages. He would be leaving the town soon, and there would most likely be a big parade thrown for him, he'd for sure be there, and she could follow him from there. How much longer was he staying here again? Two more days? That means tomorrow is his last day here. Is he even staying somewhere? If he is, it must be the nicest place, which would be pretty nice in a place like—Verena heard another twig snap behind her, it was louder this time, closer. She felt that uncomfortable feeling under her skin. The kind you felt when you were being watched. She was not alone.