Part 10

Kill Lucian.

Win the war.

Kill Lucian.

Win the war.

Win Lucian.

Kill the—No!

She cried out in frustration and flailed her arms like a toddler, until her fingers hit the wall.

"OW!" She hit her head against the wall. Again. And again. Then one more time for good measure. She swore. Breathing in, she imagined the battlefield, littered with soldiers, soaked with their blood. She stood up, still leaning against the wall. She walked to one of the many windows lining the wall. She pushed the heavy velvet curtains aside, staring out at the sky. The sun was setting, the pink and orange hues reflecting on the water.

"My lady?" A voice said from behind her. She jumped, startled. "Forgive me, my lady, I did not intend to startle you." She turned to see one of the king's servants.

"No, it's fine. What is it?" She asked.

"It is time for battle. Please come with me, miss." She picked up the chest plate and let him lead her through the long corridors. As she looked around, there were groups of guards marching through the hallways, ready for battle. The servant pushed open a door to a room full of guards, men, women, thieves, and others getting ready to fight.

She found a table that wasn't completely crowded around and set her chest plate on it. She found a sword and some boots and brought them over and set them down. She looked up to see a young girl struggling to put on a gauntlet.

"You need help with that?" She asked. The girl looked up, almost frightened. She slowly nodded. As Verena made her way around the table, she saw that the girl couldn't have been much older than fourteen. She took the gauntlet and inspected it. It was a bit too small for the girl's hand, that's why it wasn't easy to put on.

"It's too small, I'll go get another one. Wait right here." She looked for bigger gauntlets, and returned to the girl after retrieving them.

"So what is a child as young as you doing here?" She asked while putting the girl's hand into the gauntlet.

"My father is too old to fight, my mother is sick, and my brother couldn't survive longer than a minute."

"But why are you here?" Verena said, pointing at the girl.

"I don't have anywhere to go, if I do this I will bring honor and respect to my family. And the king has promised to provide for them if I survive." Verena looked at her.

"You are very brave."

"Thank you." Verena looked around.

"Here," she said, getting out her sword. "Stand with your legs shoulder width apart, never turn your back to the person you are fighting and never let your guard down." The girl picked up her sword, which was almost as big as she was. She nodded.

"Keep your knees and elbows bent, and swing." The girl did so, clashing her sword against Verenas. "Good, now when someone swings at you, hold your sword against theirs, like this." Verena slowly and gently swung her sword towards the girl, she brought her sword up, stopping Verena's. She smiled.

"Very good! You are a strong warrior." She laughed. Once she had finished putting her gauntlet on, she felt as if someone was watching her. She made her way back to her side of the table, and put on her armor. She sheathed her sword and slipped on her boots.

"What do you want?" She asked the person standing behind her.

"Nothing," the voice answered. Verena immediately recognized it as Lucian's. He crossed to her, leaning against the table. "You were really sweet to that girl."

"She's young, too young."

"You're good with children."

"I was just being nice." Verena looked up at Lucian. He grinned. "What?" She asked.

"Nothing! Nothing." A loud horn sounded followed by a guard.

"It is time! Please gather your weapons and shields, and follow me." He turned and left, the rest of the people in the room following. Verena finished putting on her boots, and took up her sword and walked with Lucian. When they got to the field, she realized how little people they had, compared to the opponents army. She took a deep breath in and closed her eyes.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay." Lucian said, taking his hand in hers. She looked up at him, then down at their interlocked fingers. She pulled away and made her way to where the king was, at the front of the crowd.