Part 6

She made her way back to the inn, which took much longer than it should've because she kept wandering. When she finally reached the inn, the innkeeper stopped her when she reached the stairs.

"A moment miss, a package do come for you."

"A package? From who?"

"Don't say, miss." The girl handed her the package, and Verena brought it up to her room. It was a black box tied with a white ribbon, with a small card tied up with a bow.

I thought it would compliment your eyes.

-L

P.S. The ball is at the king's castle. I am assuming you know where that is.

Verena groaned. He really got on her nerves. She lifted off the lid of the box and gasped at what she saw. She took the dress and laid it flat on the bed. It was so beautiful and so expensive. She changed out of her clothes and slipped on the dress. It fit perfectly, but how could he have known her measurements?

She stepped to the mirror and admired it. It had a black bodice and a black petticoat, with a burgundy overcoat, which had long flowy sleeves, a black flower pattern all over it, and a ruffled black lining. She wore her normal boots under it, not that it mattered because you couldn't even see her legs. After all, the dress was so long that it covered them.

She didn't know what to do with her hair, so she just put it half up and half down. Her hair was actually red, but she dyed it brown so she wouldn't stand out. It's dangerous to be an assassin with bright hair.

If Lucian was going to be at the ball, she should take this as a chance to kill him, it might be the only one she'll get. She put a small dagger in her boot for when the time was right. When she left the room and went down to the lobby of the inn, she got many stares, she couldn't tell if they were surprised or judgemental. She went out to the town and got many more stares.

The king's castle was on a small remote island in the middle of the lake. The only way to get there is by boat which is controlled by a king's guard. Since Verena was dressed fancily and there was a ball, she would most likely be allowed in. She walked to the docks and looked around.

You could easily tell who the king's guard was, he would be dressed in shiny metal armor and had a white cloak on. He was standing by a wooden boat that was very clean, it looked like it would be impossible to get a splinter from it. She walked over and said in a very calm, soothing voice,

"I would like to get to the king's castle for the ball please." You could not see the guard's face, but Verena could feel his eyes on her, seeing if she would belong. The guard grunted and gestured to the boat. Verena let out a breath of air she didn't know she was holding. She picked up her dress and slowly stepped into the boat. She had never been on a boat before, and she was terrified that it would tip over.

Once she had both feet on the floor of the boat, she sat down, steadying herself on the rails. She took deep breaths and tried to calm herself. She looked out to the water, and could barely see the castle, for it was so far away. She guessed that made sure the king was safe.

She put her hand in the water, it was freezing. She could see schools of small fish swimming around in the water, spreading away and fleeing as the guard's paddle got too close. Eventually, they reached the castle, and a servant helped her out of the boat. She must have been a bit late because there was no one else arriving and she could hear music from inside.