Part 15

The king chuckled.

"Come and see." He took his hand on Verena's shoulder, leading her down into the cells. Verena froze when she saw it.

"Vio-la!" The king said. She dropped to her knees in front of the cell. It was Lucian, tied up in chains, blood dripping down his chest, deep whip marks and bruises all over his body. He was limp and unconscious.

"No! Lucian! Lucian, wake up! Please! Let him out!" She screamed. She shook the bars of the cell.

"He's dead, it's over. Why aren't you more happy?" The king asked her.

"Because I was never going to kill him! That's what I came here for! That's what I was going to tell you!" The king chuckled.

"Really! That's what you were going to tell me?" He laughed louder. "How naive can you be? You really thought I was going to let you go?" She reached her hands through the bars, trying to reach Lucian, but she was too far. She screamed and cried and shouted at the king, but he just watched her fall apart.

"Well, I suppose I don't have any use for you now." Verena looked up at him, tears streaming down her face. He got a pistol out and pointed it at her head. She backed up against the wall.

"Please, don't!" She cried.

"Love has made you weak, Ms. Cliffwood. It gets into our minds and rots us from the inside out. Love is worthless and expendable. Besides, you really thought he would love you? Who would accept the love of a lost one? You, perhaps...but not any sane person." Verena watched as the king gripped the trigger. "Say goodbye to your precious heart, Ms. Cliffwood. For it is the fact that you have one that makes you so weak." A bang, a thud, and darkness.

I told you this wasn't going to have a happy ending, yet you still stayed. Maybe you are just as broken as I am, as all of us are. As all of us lost ones.

THE END

Authors note: This last chapter was much shorter than I thought it would be but oh well. I hope you enjoyed, and I'm in the middle of writing another story right now. It's a murder mystery and once I'm finished I'll probably post it. Thank you so much for reading!