Part 11

She felt bad for rejecting Lucians affection, but it would be meaningless in the long run. That wouldn't be the worst thing she would be doing to him. She saw the king, and hurried over to him.

"Your majesty, what is the plan?" He didn't look at her, and stood tall, facing the approaching army.

"We fight." She shook her head. So there wasn't a plan. The king turned to face the people. "I will not lie to you my friends! I do not believe we can win this battle. But I do believe we can fight. Many of you will die with dignity and respect, some of you will survive. But no matter what comes of this, you will all fight for your kingdom and you will make the angels proud! So lift your swords! Look to those who stand beside you and tell yourselves: This is our land! And we will defend it with honor!"

The king lifted his staff above his head, gaining a cry of hope. He turned and ran into battle, followed by our army. All at once, the sound was overwhelming. The clashing of swords, the screams of soldiers, and the gallop of horses. Verena's blade met with several, throwing some back, cutting deep into flesh, and breaking bone.

She could barely believe it, but it seemed as if they were winning. This gave her hope, she sprinted through the crowd, slicing through whatever was in her path. She heard a cry of pain coming from the trees. She recognized that voice. That stupid voice. That annoying, loud, idiotic voice.

She pushed her way through, ducking, dodging, and fighting her way towards the scream. She finally got through the fighting, and saw a leg sticking out from behind a tree. She sprinted towards it, kneeling down to look into Lucian's eyes. He was barely conscious. She patted his face, trying to keep him awake.

"Verena? What are you doing?" She looked at him, vulnerable and weak. She felt the cold of her knife against her back, hidden in her belt. She reached for it, gripping the handle. She watched his face, scrunched up in pain. She let go of the blade.

"I don't know." She said, taking off her coat and ripping it to be long enough to tie around Lucians wound. She put it to the side, ready to be used, but not yet. She held Lucians back, and laid him down on the grass. She lifted up his shirt, soaked in blood. He had a large gash in his abdomen. She ripped part of her shirt, and pressed it against the wound. Lucian groaned in pain.

"Shut up! You're going to draw attention to us!" She said, "I'll be right back." She ran through the forest, immediately feeling terrible for leaving him alone, but she needed to get him herbs. She found some yarrow and picked up two rocks to grind it.

She got back to Lucian, and smushed the yarrow into a paste, smearing it onto Lucians wound. He screwed his face up in pain, holding back a groan. She tied the ripped coat around his waist to help stop the bleeding. She took her dagger out to adjust the fabric, but he grabbed her hand.

"Wait, is that...is that the dagger I threw into the lake?" Verena pulled her hand away and didn't answer. "Did you really dive into a freezing river for a stupid knife?" Verena shoved him.

"Shut it. It was my mothers." Lucian looked down.

"Oh, sorry."

"She is the one that taught me how to heal like this."

"Wait, your mother was a healer," Lucian said. Verena nodded. "And you became...an assassin?" Verena nodded again. "I don't understand." She rolled her eyes.

"My mother liked to help people, she was caring and kind, and she always put everyone's needs before her own. I was never like that. She saw people as beautiful and caring, but I saw them as what they truly were." Lucian tilted his head to the side in confusion.

"Monsters! People are monsters! Humans are monsters! Look what they have done to you! You think these people are nice?!" Lucian flinched at all of her yelling.

"Sorry. My mother is a sensitive topic."

"No, that's alright. My mother was never very connected with the world, she was a drunk."

"I'm sorry." Verena said, not knowing what else to say.

'No it's fine, I mean we weren't very close anyway. She died when I was young so I never really got to know her."

"Sometimes our blood is not our family." Lucian chuckled.

"That's deep." Verena laughed.

"How do you feel?"

"Not exactly my best, but I've felt worse."

"Good, because we gotta go." Verena put her arm around Lucians back, and he placed his arm over her shoulder, lifting himself up.