All I breathe (1) ~ Azriel ACOTAR

The family gathered around the dinner table, seating themselves in their respective spots. One by one the clambering not stopping even as they sat, conversation echoed within the walls of the river house. Every Saturday; is mandatory for everyone. Your position in the High Lord's inner circle was questionable.

Your fraternal twin brother was the unwanted mate of the High Lady's second eldest sister; and you. You've managed to gain a job as the night court emissary alongside Lucien, though you wouldn't even say you acquired the job yourself. Circumstances weren't so easily spoken of.

You took your place between Lucien and Nesta. The air around you was tense, not at all the influence of those around you, it was simply how you felt whenever you ate dinner with Rhysand's family. Quarrels between you and the night court have long been settled but for so long these people had been your enemy. While you held nothing against them except for maybe one of them, your remorse hasn't allowed you to move on from your past.

The burn of a stare from the person sitting directly across from you pulled you out of your thoughts. You lifted your head from the plate of food your brother served you and narrowed your eyes at him. You picked up your fork and rolled your eyes, focusing your attention back on eating.

~~~

He was a nuisance, a fly following the scent of your blood. Seriously for someone who hated you so damn much, he truly does not leave you alone. You paced in front of the door of the war room before finally deciding to walk in, conveniently as you did, the door opened. As someone walked out the door it slammed into your nose.

You let out a yelp, clutching your nose as your attacker swiftly moves past you. "Fuck!"

"Watch yourself," Azriel snarled. It was the only acknowledgment he gave you as he walked away. Somehow with your aching nose, you were able to catch his scent, it made you shiver, though you didn't know whether it was because of the slow subsiding pain or your body's natural reaction to preserve you from the shadowsinger's aura.

"An apology would be appreciated." You murmured. You reopened the door about to enter when you heard him.

"Perhaps if you weren't sneaking around this accident wouldn't have happened." His head was looking over his shoulder as he spoke.

"Last I heard, sneaking around is your thing, far be it from me to do your job." Your body's halfway through to the room on the other side of the door. "And I'll have you know my being here was requested."

You didn't wait for him to respond, letting the door close on its own behind you, you pressed your back against it and gently tapped your nose.

"Are you alright?" A voice rose from the middle of the room. You winced, forgetting what you were here for even as you were just talking about it.

You sighed, "Yes. A small incident, though I'm sure you already knew that."

Rhysand gave you a questioning look, "We sure it's not broken?"

"A broken nose definitely doesn't feel as okay as it does now," You made your way to the violet-eyed male who called upon you. The reason for your pacing and your almost-broken nose. He motioned for you to have a seat in the chair across from him. The awkward feeling crept back, this male was daemati which meant you'd have to build your mental block to keep your thoughts from being too loud and letting him into your anxiety.

"There's no need for you to worry y/n," It was too late. "Why do you stress?"

His concern conflicted you, he should hate you. Your acquaintance was past hate but culpability ate you. "I don't, I'm fine."