Unspoken ~Sirius Black

"Alright, Y/n?"

James' familiar accent practically shouted as he slid into the seat next to you, tugging the ends of your loose hair.

"Merlin, James!" You clutched your chest, startled by the sudden interruption. You were enraptured in your History of Magic assignment and the library had been so quiet before. "A little warning next time, maybe."

"I am the warning," He smiled slyly, "What's wrong with you? You've been avoiding Pads like the plague."

"Nothing is wrong with me, it's only been four days for god's sake," You rolled your eyes.

His eyes widened, "I didn't know it'd been that long or I'd have checked in sooner, Four days is a lifetime for the two of you."

"You both are so dramatic."

"Says you who won't even tell your best friend why you're not talking to your lover boy."

You glare at the boy who didn't know when to keep his mouth shut, "Now, you know damn well you're not my best friend and for the millionth time me and Sirius are just friends."

You slam the textbook you were reading closed and packed it in your bag, moving out of your chair and walking away. James followed closely behind.

"I'll have you know we've been friends for longer than the lot of them," He referred to the rest of the Marauders and the girls. "You should be able to trust me."

"You asked me for homework twice before I've had a conversation with Sirius or the others, that does not mean we've been friends for longer, that just means you're a slick prick."

"I'm gonna pretend your words don't sting, L/n, but I'm begging you-" He blocked the door to exit the Library. "Tell me why you aren't speaking to the poor lad."

You crossed your arms, frustrated, "The moment I tell you, you're gonna be off tattling to Sirius."

"I promise I won't," He spoke in a serious tone and you looked at him with a stern face. "Cross my heart."

You had no reason to be ignoring Sirius the way that you had been, not really. After all, you were just friends- friends don't get mad when friends kiss other people at a party. It was petty of you to have kept it going for this long but you were hurt.

Also, between you and Sirius, you were always a little more than just friends.

Nothing about the two of you was platonic and yet no physical act indicated that you were in a romantic relationship. It was known, it went unsaid, he was yours and you were his.

For years, it was an ongoing dance of lingering stares and near touches. As if the act of an embrace or a simple handshake will combust the carefully constructed invisible wall that you both had built on your friendship. It went unsaid that though you weren't together- you are. Despite both of you being insistent on the status of your relationship as being just friends.

"He was with someone else at the party," You confessed.

James scoffed disbelieving, "No he wasn't."

Your eyes narrowed, he definitely was- you saw it with your own two eyes, granted you were slightly inebriated but you couldn't have conjured the image in your mind. If he didn't trust your word it was fine by you, "Ask Remus if you don't believe me then."

"That's why he hasn't been in an uproar about this," He placed his hands on his hips. "Right well, in that case, Pads was very likely drunk."

"And this is why I didn't want to talk to you," You shove past him finally. "You're always going to defend him, no matter what Sirius can do no wrong."