All I breathe (2) ~Azriel ACOTAR

An Illyrian bastard! you could not stand him. He was a contemptuous brute as you knew most Illyrians were. Cassian and Rhysand were just fine, if only he turned out more like his brothers. Although the comment the former had made had you reeling. In no world do you see yourself sharing a bed with the Shadowsinger. What was worse was knowing the days to come were going to be filled with hours of what had just occurred. In the safety of your room, you had released the flames that begged for freedom, letting them kindle on your hands, careful not to get too close to the furniture.

The power you and your twin had shared assuming it had come from your mother's distant bloodline. Your mother was another factor that you had thought of constantly during your stay at this new court. While you dealt with your own struggles mentally, you and Lucien had a better life here in Velaris, you were free from all the males who once dominated your life. You couldn't say the same for your poor mother. She was the one person you looked forward to seeing.

"He's not right you know?" A smooth casual familiar voice echoed from behind you. Your power jolted, letting out a blast of controlled flames in your hands.

"I could have burned you, you idiot!" You shoved your brother away from you once you recovered from the shock.

"No, you really couldn't have." He chuckled. There Lucien stood a few feet behind you, he just left yesterday morning, there was no reason for him to be back so early.

"What are you doing here anyway?" You crossed your arms and shuffled closer to your bed, sitting on the edge.

"I heard Rhysand gave you a tough assignment, with an even tougher partner."

"Do not call him my partner and he's weaker than any of you give him credit for," You snarked back.

Lucien put his hands up in surrender, "Relax I'm just here to ease the tension."

"Like you ever," You glared at him playfully.

"He has a way of making you tense so easily, Sister." Lucien sits beside you on the edge of the end of your bed. "Despite your hatred for him, you need to place your trust in him fully while you're there."

"Why can't you come with me?" You put on your best puppy dog-like pleading eyes, Lucien stopped falling for it once you both came to an age where life was not so easily bought by a sweet smile or those perfect doe eyes you were able to mimic.

"I would if I could, I have business elsewhere" He ruffled your hair pushing your head away lightly when you scowled at him. "Important business in the mortal realms of all places."

"Oh please, you can feign annoyance all you want but you've found an interest there."

"I don't have much keeping me here anyway Y/n, better to keep busy." A sad disposition had formed within him whenever he was near Elain, he couldn't do more than he was already doing to make Elain comfortable around him.

The words stung, and suddenly the statement Azriel made didn't seem so far off the truth. You knew you could make yourself useful enough to be of value but what did any of that mean when your own twin couldn't find your company worthy. Obviously, he did have places to go and people to meet but you did too and if he ever needed you, you would drop everything to be there for him. The scar on your left cheek was a testament to that.

You sat there side-by-side for a couple of minutes, enjoying each other's company in silence. Lucien tapped your knee twice before declaring he walk you out before your journey. He wrapped a loose arm around your shoulders, "I will be here when you get back." He squeezed you into his side.

Reaching the last step Azriel was there waiting for you, he gave Lucien a nod before looking away to give you and your brother privacy. You squeezed his middle, "You better."