Maybe more (1) ~ JJ Maybank

Days like these were the ones you liked to savor. Hanging out with the Pogues at the chateau, going out to the marsh and swimming, smoking blunts, drinking beers. No worries, no cares in the world. All except for one. A couple of nights ago at a boneyard party when you and one of your best friends had sex when you both got too drunk. In other circumstances it would've been a one-night that just happened, you would agree that it never happened and never mention that night again. And It wouldn't have been such a big deal if it wasn't for the fact that you were in love with him.

You came to that realization when it was late at night last summer. John B was passed out in his room, Kie and Pope had already gone home and the both of you were left alone not wanting to go home. JJ never really did go home but you just wanted to stay a little longer. Not wanting to go back to reality. You were on the couch, with your arm above your eyes, shielding them from the light. JJ was sitting on a chair across from you, rolling up a blunt. "Ya know (y/n), this couch is claimed territory and you're taking up all the space," He said after he was done. "Mhm," you responded, not caring. He got up and moved to where you laying and tapped you so you could lay your head on his lap.

"How come you didn't leave with Kie and Pope?" He asked. He took a hit, then passed it to you.

"Didn't wanna be alone." You said simply, inhaling then exhaling the smoke. You both sat in silence for a while after that passing each other the spliff for a little while until you finally spoke. "Where do you see yourself in 10 years J?"

"Somewhere far the fuck away from here that's for sure. Goin' full kook, having parties every night with a bunch of girls." He stretched his arms to emphasize. He sighed "But you and I and everyone on this whole goddamn island know that's never going to happen."

"Don't say that, you're just as capable as the rest of us. Even more in some ways." You said in a matter-of-fact tone, "You can be crazy driven and determined when you want to." You nudged him. He stared at you for a little over a second. He shook his head and you continued to smoke you finished the blunt, sitting or lying there with fragments of casual conversation and silence.

"It's getting pretty late-" JJ looked at his phone to see it was almost 3 in the morning, he avoided talking about the subject further. "you should crash in my room for the night, I'll sleep on the couch."

"Since when have we ever done that J?" You pulled him with you into the bedroom that you would share when you would sleepover. "Sleep with me."

"Fine but no funny business, missy." He pointed his index finger at you. He went to lay next to you, putting out his arm so you can lay your head on it. You settled into his side, he draped his other arm over your waist and kissed your forehead. This was your dynamic, you had done this tons of times with JJ even sometimes with John B before he got with Sarah. But this felt different, you felt a fluttering in your chest and stomach, a warmth in your heart. JJ was attractive and sweet and funny, he was protective of you and after the years of friendship, you could say he definitely cared for you deeply.

And cuddling with your best friend who you found attractive and loved, well that's when you realized; you could get used to this.

Time had passed and you were a goner, you admitted that to yourself and there was no way of avoiding it. Everything was perfect before that night, you could've spent the rest of your days loving him in secret, you could've dealt with never once knowing what it felt to kiss his soft, sweet lips. Unfortunately now that, that one god-forsaken night happened everything was worse. Now you knew what it felt like to be completely enraptured by him, to be loved entirely by him. Even if it was one night, but he was your best friend, after all, the most you could do now is keep your distance without completely avoiding him because then he'd know somethings up.