Part Nineteen

I awoke around three in the morning from a nightmare. In my nightmare I saw the fluttering of a black coat as I looked behind me as I tumbled down the staircase. The black suitcoats were common among the people on the council. I wasn't sure if it was a memory or if the brain was trying to find reason and manufacturing it out of fear. After the nightmare though I felt unsettled and knew sleep wouldn't find me again. I got up quietly and dressed in comfortable clothes. I scooped up the papers on the coffee table Jordan had left there the night before. I scribbled a quick note to him letting him know I left to get some air. Papers in hand and ready to go I grabbed the phone Jordan had supplied me with and left the room. All three guys were still outside our door. They looked up in alarm but Marco just gave me a smirk and told the others not to ask.

I handed Marco the heavy load of papers that were admittedly slowing me down. I was still in a lot of pain. I led them all to the library. Once in I took the big desk near the center and spread the papers before me. Before working I sent a quick text and then got to it. I read through things and noticed more notes made by Jordan or Alex. I knew they were driving themselves crazy. There were two people phone records that lined up with the events the closest but another four that could also have been something but if it had been them they had been smarter to not make it as obvious about it. Thirty minutes into my search the door opened and all three men in the room stood a little straighter no doubt in fear Jordan or Alex would be walking in to check on things.

I smiled at the little maid who came in. She set the plates on the desk looking around at the guards in fear. It made me frown. "Gracias," I smile at her and she nods and scurries back out the door. "Ok guys grab a plate and find a seat we will be here for a bit," I tell them but no one moves. "Oh come on. It is not even four am, I will not eat if you all don't. Its pointless to stand at attention in this quiet room when in probably less then three seconds you could be up and defending me but I doubt you will need to. The person who wants to hurt me seems to be a coward only after me when I am alone and unaware. NOW EAT."

Marco smirks already use to my lax mood about the guard and how I am not a stickler nor stuck up like it seems most past royals had been. After him the others follow. They take various chairs on the outskirts of the room no doubt making sure I am in sight and they can see all entrances and exits. Once I see them eating I pick at my own food and go back to the pages around me. As I keep looking through the phone records and make more notes and highlights. Time seems to drag as I flip pages but speed up all at once when I notice the time. Its seven in the morning. I stand and stretch when the door opens. I smirk knowing who it is before they enter.

Jordan stands there freshly showered and dressed in one of his usual suits, he looks edible. I observe him as he makes his way to me his eyes never leaving my body. I feel a flush running straight to my core. "Why are you in here with MY work this early, Hunter, I told you to leave it alone! You just got out of the medical wing!" He was not happy. His face was sharp and angular with his grey eyes peircing right through me.

"I was helping besides I had my guards," I roll my eyes at his theatrics. I walk around the table to give him a kiss. As my lips connect with his I feel a rush of warmth and the warm feeling in my core shoots up several more degrees. I find myself leaning into him my hands roaming his impressive back. I yank my body back quickly covering my mouth and run. I am out of the room and fleeing down the hall to the nearest bathroom. Not looking or paying any attention I fling the door open and run to the nearest stall. Over the toilet I throw up my breakfast as well as what feels like my guts.