Chapter 2

Celine

NOW

I really thought I could go back to a few years ago pretending nothing had happened, but it didn't take long to realize that I'll never be able to let myself go with a stranger, not after Charles.

I've been sitting in the parking lot for a couple of hours, and maybe it's time to call Daniel to take me home, before I die of hypothermia.
Only now I notice that my phone is vibrating, but I don't have time to answer before the call ends and the latest notifications pop up on the screen.

12 missed calls from KELLS 💝

MAX 🏆
Where did you go Lin?
Kelly is worried, so am I
Celine! At least tell me you're with Daniel, he's gone too
9 missed calls

DANNY RIC 🍯
4 missed calls
Cel why did everyone think you're with me? Where are you?

Before I can answer, however, I see a person running towards me.

"Celine? Thank god you're here." Daniel stops to catch his breath and before speaking to me again he writes something on his phone.

"Daniel? I'm sorry." Tears stream down my cheeks, once again while everyone's worrying about me I just ran away. Daniel hugs me, stroking my hair.

"It's okay Cel, it's okay." I know it's not, but I no longer have the strength to fight.

And if Daniel let me get away with it, I know Max won't. In fact I can see him approaching us, and I already know there'll be more shouting between the two of us today.

"What the fuck were you thinking? Disappearing like that for more than two hours?" I see Kelly trying to calm him down, but there's no way. She also looks at me disappointed.

"Max, maybe it's better tomorrow, mate. There's no point in screaming now, especially here. Your PR manager won't be happy tomorrow when he has to deal with videos of you screaming all over social media." Max doesn't seem to care though.

"No! I don't give a shit, you wanted to come here tonight and then you disappear without telling anyone! You crash at our house without even warning and you say you don't want to talk about it. For Christ's sake Celine, what the fuck happened in New York for you to be like this?"

I can't believe that he actually said it. Kelly's looking at me worried, she lets go of her boyfriend's arm and tries to get closer to me.

"Cel, he doesn't really mean it, he's just angry." She tries to fix it.

"I can't believe you said that. What the fuck did I do to you Max? Where did my best friend go? Why have you been constantly trying to remind me everything that happened? Why?" Daniel is confused, but he tries to remain composed, ready for anything.

"I don't know Lin, I'm really trying to understand you. What happened to you was none fault's, we've always been there for you and this is your way to thank us?"
Today wasn't supposed to go like this, I didn't want to have any arguments with anyone.

"I'm sorry, really sorry, I shouldn't have come back." Max is right after all, but I don't know why I'm doing this either.

"I'd better go then, I don't want to disturb you any further." Kelly grabs my hand, she knows it wasn't my intention.

"Come on Lin, let's go home, I told you tonight would've been your bonus night, you got it. Tomorrow you and I will talk, I don't want to see my best friend throwing away her life."
I nod, I don't want to say anything else that could make the situation worse.

At seven o'clock I'm heading towards my favorite cafè. I really don't know how I'm going to find a job here in Monte Carlo, cause who would hire a failed photographer?