Chapter 8

Charles

Before

Celine's been looking around ever since we got into the car.

"Is this car really yours?" I nod for the third time, laughing.

"Does it surprise you so much to see a car like this? I thought you grew up in Monaco too!" I see her frown, and taking advantage of the empty road in front of us I suddenly accelerate.

"I'm surprised it's yours, not by the car itself... My father has at least three like that." I definitely didn't expect this, it hurts me a little that she thinks I can't afford a car like this.

The exchange doesn't last long, Celine becomes serious again and turns her gaze towards the window.

"Everything okay?"

My question doesn't receive an answer, for a moment I sense her breathing getting deeper, so my hand searches for hers, and I let our fingers intertwine.

She doesn't escape the hold and smiling, I fix my eyes back on the road and after less than five kilometers we stop in front of a building with the 'bowling' sign standing out. I turn off the engine and we fall into an awkward silence.

"Is everything okay Celine?" I ask her again.

"It's okay, don't worry..." her big eyes stare at me insistently, I hadn't even told her my name yet.

"Charles, my name is Charles." For a few moments no one speaks, our eyes are chained to each other and when I realize that I'm no longer able to hold her gaze, I buck up and grab her hand, leading her to the entrance.

The lounge is not very crowded, there's pleasant background music that drowns out the general chatter, but nothing compared to the club and Celine seems to appreciate it.

"I like this place, it's quiet and it's not full of maniacs."
We both burst out laughing, attracting the attention of some people nearby.

"I'm glad you like it." A smile lights up her face for the first time making her even more beautiful.

"You are beautiful when you smile Celine, no one should make you cry." I'm honest, in general no one should make a girl cry.

"Can you believe me if I tell you this is the first time I've actually smiled in a couple of days?"

Actually yes, I believe it, it's kinda obvious that she isn't having a great period.

"I believe you, yes. I promise you that tonight I'll try to make you smile at least ten, fifteen, twenty more times, until you do it without realizing it anymore."

For a moment she's very serious again, she takes a few steps forward and turns towards the cash register.

"It won't be easy, today is my birthday aka the saddest day of the year for me." Her sentence leaves me stunned but I try not to show it, I feel that just one misstep would be enough to ruin everything.

"Then you must know I love challenges. If I win, and I'll win, you'll have to tell me why you are sad, fleur." Her cheeks turn pink, but then she smiles.

"See!Two - zero for me Cel!" The realization sweeps away any trace of happiness and a very funny pout takes its place.

"Shit, that's not fair Charles! I take my smile back!"

"You take your smile back?? Really Celine you have to try harder, I'm not an easy person to beat!"
We stare at each other defiantly for a few seconds but before I can get my third smile the lady behind the checkout hands us our shoes and shows us our lane.