Chapter 15

Charles 

Now

Today felt like an endless stream of appointments and meetings, leaving me barely enough time for a quick lunch break. By the time the mechanics and engineers from our last meeting had all left, the office was emptying out.

Yet, despite the urge to leave, I can't bear the thought of going home and facing Alexandra. Ever since Celine resigned, things between us had taken a turn for the worse.

As I make my way towards the exit, the meeting room doors close behind me, signaling the end of another hectic day.

When I get to my building, Juan, the concierge, greets me warmly, wishing me a good evening. But just as I am about to step into the elevator, his voice calls me back.

"I just remembered Mr Leclerc, that a week ago a girl came by looking for you." My first thought is that the girl is Alex and maybe she wanted to surprise me, but then I also think she would've said to be my girlfriend.

"Oh, alright. Did she say what she needed me for?" He shakes his head no, and I'm more and more confused.

"No, she just asked me to tell you she was sorry." My heart starts beating faster, it couldn't be her.

"Her name's Celine, if I'm not mistaken." It was her, indeed, and I couldn't be more happy now.

"Merci beaucoup, bonne soirée." I spent the whole week thinking about what I'd said or did wrong: nothing, absolutely nothing if not the truth. And if she'd come here to apologize it means she was the one in the wrong.

Making the first move, especially to say sorry, was never in her style. That's why I'm astonished and moved at the same time, and now it was my turn: I have to step up but first of all I must talk to Alexandra.

This week I realized that, if I'm thinking so much about Celine and how being able to have even just ten minutes of her time, is because I hope with all of me to be able to go back to how we once were, and Alex in my perfect picture is one too many.

Alex helped me in one of the worst periods of my life, but the truth is, in my heart there's and there always has been space for the girl who made my world magical for four years. Ma Céline.

I already know Alex will make me regret every word I'm going to say, only because it is an inconvenient truth for her. Opening the door and finding her half naked, just in her underwear, with two wine glasses in her hands makes it all even more embarrassing and complicated.

"Finally mon amour!" Her enthusiastic tone worsens the thousand feelings of guilt that are rising in me, why does everything in my life always have to be so complicated?

"I didn't think you'd be still up..." Above all I was hoping she wouldn't be. I take a deep breath before entering the apartament, aware it'll be a long evening.

"Just wanted to spend some good time with you, you've been distant lately." As she says this her mouth gets close to mine, but I don't want her to kiss me, I'm breaking up with her, I won't take advantage of her. So I quickly turn my head, offering her my cheek slightly rough for the beard.

"You sure you're alright?" The truth is I don't know, I take off my coat and try in every way possible to avoid her gaze. I know damn well which direction this is all taking. The only thing that's making me feel better is knowing Celine is sorry, maybe ready to start over.

"Can we talk, Alex?" I finally say it out loud. From here there's no turning back. I see her sighing, as if she was expecting this, and now I can feel her embarrassment wearing this lace set.