Chapter 3

Celine

NOW

It takes me a few seconds to understand what's happening. For a moment I even allow myself to drown in those emerald eyes that are making it hard for me to breathe.

His face hasn't changed, except for a slight hint of a beard. His brown hair is still thick, stiled in a cut I'd never seen on him before.
His long legs are wrapped in beige cigarette trousers and a long coat hugs his chest falling to mid-thigh. He has changed the way he dresses, before he would've never dreamed of wearing something like this, before he was more casual.

Charles stands before me after two long years and he seems to be as paralyzed as I am.
Focused only on me, on the girl he'd loved most of all, he doesn't even notice Alexandra coming towards him, until their lips touch.

Just when I thought I had found someone who could help me and make my day better, I came across none other than my ex's new girlfriend.

Fate or whatever celestial force is up there is playing tricks on me. I curse for that bizarre situation while Alexandra's voice lessens the palpable tension between us.

"Here Cel, I can call you Cel right? He's the owner of Maple, he's the one you have to blame for the coat!"

The girl's words were supposed to be a joke, but no one's laughing.

For just a moment I think I can take a conversation with him, as the mature people we are, but as soon as I look back at that intense green, a deep hole opens in my chest. Tears are ready to come, but I can't cry, not in front of him.

So I choose to play it cool: I turn back to Liam and give him a smile as I put my coat back on.

"Celine, that's my name. I'd like to see you again, this time I promise I won't run."

I don't know exactly why I did it, but my chest feels a little lighter when he nods happily.

«Alexandra is having a party this evening, if it's okay with her we could go together.»

I look at her, and after she nodded I head towards her exit.

"Okay, Alexandra has my number, please send me the address and time."

I thought I'd almost made it, that I'd almost managed to get out of that cute yet suffocating little shop but I was wrong.

"Lin."

I give in, that nickname sounds so different coming from his lips. It's a whisper that conveys pain, joy and the myriad sensations we're both feeling right now. Charles' hand touches my arm and a shiver runs through our bodies, making them tremble.