Chapter 3: Cravings

6 months ago -

Mihoko Shinso wasn't expecting to find an unconscious girl laying in her yard when she got home that evening. It was the dead of winter and the girl wasn't dressed for it. The snow below the girl had soaked through her thin white button up, and her short skirt was ripped. Bending down to check on the poor girl she almost flinched at how cold her skin was. Worry washed through the women as she looked at the young girl. She didn't even notice the cherry blossoms that fell in a perfect circle around the girl.

"HITOSHI!" She called loudly, while wrapping her coat around the girl.

They didn't yell in their house. They were a soft spoken family, who rarely had a need to raise their voices. So when her son heard her screaming loudly from outside the house he ran out holding a baseball bat. Expecting to see a burglar, or some kind of danger. But he lowered it when he saw his mother trying to lift a young girl off the snowy ground. "Hurry up and give me a hand, she could be injured." Miyoko said, waving him over. Shinso wasn't the strongest guy his age, but he was strong enough to pick up the girl. She was around his age, with long curly black hair with streaks of pink running through it. He couldn't help but stare at her for a moment. Her features were almost ethereal, her skin seeming to shine in the pale moonlight.

"Hitoshi, let's go, she could have frostbite." His mom barked, bringing him back to reality. Quickly following her into their house.

Mihoko changed the girl out of her wet clothes and into some of her Pajamas before covering the girl in a heating pad and a mountain of blankets.

"She didn't have an ID or cellphone on her, did your dad say what time he was coming home?" Mihoko asked quietly as she walked into the kitchen. "Few hours, and he's bringing some stuff so he can make sure there's nothing serious going wrong with her." Hitoshi replied, setting down the phone, "But his guess is exhaustion made her pass out from what I told him."

"What was that girl thinking? Going out in the cold dressed in that." She huffed, pacing back and forth. "I swear her parents are probably worried sick about her."

"Well, find out when she wakes up." Hitoshi shrugged, looking back into the living room where the girl was sleeping.

It was a school night so Mihoko sent her son up to bed before his father got home. Not that he actually went to sleep. And by the time her husband; Hajime was home she was falling asleep at the kitchen table.

"Honey?" Her eyes fluttered open to the sound of Hajimes voice. "Good you're home, i'll show you where she is." Mihoko gave him a kiss on the cheek, as she got to her feet, ignoring the sleep in her eyes as she led him into the living room where she had piled the blankets on the girl.

"Hitoshi didn't mention she was so young." Hajime said, pulling the living room ottoman next to the girl so he could sit while checking on her. He pulled back the blankets and chuckled to himself seeing that she was wearing his wifes 'I hate Mondays' T-shirt. He pulled out his stethoscope first, tucking the small metal disk over her lungs to make sure she was breathing properly. But he frowned, her breathing was painfully slow even for someone sleeping. Quickly he moved his stethoscope over her heart. It was only beating 15 times per minute.

"We need to get her on the floor now, call an ambulance." His tone was serious as he scooped the girl off the couch and placed her on the living room carpet. "what do I tell them?" Mihoko asked, pulling her cellphone out of her pocket. "Her heartbeat and breathing are too slow. It might be some part of her quirk. But if it's not; its heart failure." He explained starting CPR on her cold body. His wife's eyes went wide, pulling her phone up to her ear as it began to ring; watching as husband pumped her chest. But the girl's heart rate wasn't picking up. "Fuck." He breathed, listening to her unchanging heart rate. A body couldn't survive with that slow of heart rate for more than a few minutes.