Polis Massa

Before the Sith took power, she had never heard of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

And sometimes, she wished that were still true.

In fact, the more distance between a Jeotian like herself and a Jedi like him, the better.

To call her home-moon, Jeotis, an "ally" of the Republic was an ambiguity open for controversy.

Personally, she preferred the term "customer", given that the galaxy's most precious gemstones were mined and traded in Jeotian volcanoes of the Outer Rim.

Unavoidably, Jedi came with the deal.

It was good business.

And sometimes, bad business.

That's how she ended up on Polis Massa.

A naive lack of judgement behind a good business deal gone terribly, terribly wrong.

________

"I got a bad feeling about this," the Q2 series, retired battle droid had muttered, as he scanned the organics around him for any signs of a threat.

"Remember, Q2, we belong here. Just act natural. You know, like a normal droid? No one will ask questions if we don't give them a reason to," she whispered to her automaton friend, as they waited in line at the new recruit check-in. "No one's even heard of Jeotis here."

"Are you out of your orbit?" Q2 declared his passionate disagreement.

But the look from her that came slipping his way made the droid reboot his statement.

"I mean, are you out of your royal orbit, mi'lady?" he corrected himself.

"Next!" called the recruitment clerk.

She stepped forward, but Q2 pulled her back.

A bold move for a droid, but he couldn't just standby without making one last desperate attempt to make her see reason.

"Mi'lady, even a droid could tell you this is a terrible idea. You don't even have an advanced degree in medicine," Q2 objected. "Up until 56 hours ago, you couldn't even count out the correct credits to use the space port. Let alone practice medicine."

"Then I'll learn."

"Next, please!"

"Mi'lady, I implore you to reconsid-"

"Medical Lieutenant Lex Halo, reporting for duty," she blurted out her introduction to the clerk, stepping forward to hand him her identichip.

Making her droid's circuits fry in suspense, as he waited on screws and bolts for the clerk to raise an eyebrow at her, scan her counterfeit identichip into his astromech droid, and wait for the confirmation beep.

It couldn't have come any faster.

"Alright, go on in," the clerk waved at her. "Next!"

Making Q2 almost powered down under the godsend of that reprieve.

His mistress was safe. Their mission uncompromised.

As long as the real Lex Halo didn't show up, nothing could go wrong.

__________

Because Lucky for lady and droid both, the Kallidah Archaeological Research Base was more interested in digging up dead planets than keeping up with intergalactic politics.

Work was agonizingly slow.

She rarely saw any patients so far out in the galactic middle of nowhere. The base so painstakingly isolated in the outer rim, away from all main hyperspace lanes, that not even the HoloNet News transmitted this far out.