Mind Tricks

Lying flat on her back in her bunk, Lex daydreamed about the home she left behind on Jeotis.

Tossing up an old blue and red chance cube, as she watched it hover above her for a few moments, before catching it back in her hand.

You don't need Jedi Mind tricks to bend the galaxy to your will. Sometimes, the most complicated problems can be solved with a simple potion. 

Can a potion even bring people back from the dead, mother? 

Be patient, my stargazer. You're not ready for that spell yet. Let's start with the basics of saving a life first.

And mentally running through  a checklist of every potion she'd ever mastered under her mother's teachings, Lex was determined to find that answer for Padmé. 

 The Sleeper potion, Common Healing potion, Gemini Twins Imposter potion, Starfire Love potion, Stem Regeneration potion, Neptune's Kiss Comatose Po...

Lex shot up from her bunk.

Neptune's Kiss...It's too risky to use before the babies are born, but if it works, it may give the senator enough time to change her mind.

Forgetting to return the chance cube back to its hiding spot in her belongings, she hurried out into the corridor. 

It was after hours on base, and Q2 had likely gone down to the subterrestrial data archive, where he usually spent the night "working" as she slept. 

But this couldn't wait until morning.

And with no better time than this to avoid people asking questions, Lex charged around the corner to the access doors of the data archive. 

Until-

"You were the chosen one!"

Lex stopped walking. 

Caught off guard by a deep hit of anguish in her chest that made her catch the wall next to her for support. Feeling as if she'd be crushed by the indescribable heartbreak that overwhelmed her senses. 

"I have failed you, Anakin. I have failed you." 

Lex took deeper breaths, her whole body burning as if it were literally on fire, drowning in a lake of magma as she was crushed under this tormenting grief she couldn't shut out. 

But "it" refused to let her go this time. Not until "it" decided it was over.

"It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them. Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness!"

"You were my brother, Anakin...I loved you." 

Until at last, Lex opened her eyes to the bright overhead lights of the base corridor. 

The excruciating pain of burning alive was gone.

But when she looked down at her hands, they weren't her hands anymore, but the remains of them. 

Full thickness burns that had simmered down to her bone and the swollen bloody muscles of her palms. Blood and tissue leatherized under her raw muscle. Her skin curled up and flaking from the burns, charred black and ashen around the edges. 

And the smell....that nauseating metallic and meaty combination of burning skin, muscle, hair, and bone.

There was nothing like it that made her so sick to her stomach. 

And then it too was gone. 

The smell.

Her blackened fingers.