Chapter 4 - Losing A Member

today, I wear a burgundy t-shirt with soft, dark blue skinny jeans and brown Timberland boots. I grab my denim cross-body bag, pack it with my laptop, the novel I'm reading, some writing utensils and my notebook, then head downstairs and wait for mum to drive me to school. I don't know what I'm going to do now that Austin and I apologised to each other. but, I'm sure I'll find something to do. after waiting about 10 minutes, mum comes down the stairs and I open the door, both of us heading outside. we climb into her vintage truck, a dark forest green one with the large round fenders. basically the same truck that Bell Swan from Twilight drives. she starts the truck and we drive to my school.

We reach Pine Hope High. I tell her that we're all going to be entering the school through the farther doors. she simply nods, then drives off once I get out of the truck. I watch her leave but don't head to the farther entrance. instead, I head over to some concrete table and sit there, book in hand while I wait for the day to start.

About an hour in, while I'm still reading and students begin to enter the school, I look up and see the white truck that man was in. and I see Austin the the passenger seat. as they pass, our gazes lock for a split second before they pass me. I follow the truck with my eyes. it stops in the parking lot and I see Austin get out, slamming the door behind him and entering the school. I sigh, feeling bad for him more and more as time goes by. there's still some time before class begins so I decide to stay outside today. yet, as I'm reading, I hear Anne say to me from 5 feet away,

"Hey Nora, why weren't you on the bus today?"

"Oh, that's cause I lied to my mum, saying that we all planned to meet early for some Reading Club stuff. in reality, I actually wanted to have the early hour to apologise to Austin. but he actually came to my house last night. he was the first one to apologise-"

Anne stops me quickly, saying,

"Wait, he came to your house? are you okay??"

"Well, technically, my bedroom window. and yes, Anne, I'm fine. why? all he did was apologise."

Anne scoffs, saying, "Nora. you really are the sweetest and most trusting out of all of us. if he apologised, it's clearly because there's a reason."

"Yea, because he felt bad for yesterday. What's up with you-"

"Oh please. that's not the reason. though I cant think what else there could be-" "Exactly. the reason you cant figure it out is because there's no other reason. he's not a bad person Anne. I've seen it for myself-"

"yea, ok. well, when you finally come to your senses and realise there's some other reason he came to your bedroom window, come find me so we can talk again. k?" and with that, Anne rudely walks off to the school. I scoff as well, unable to believe her attitude. and suddenly, I think back to my poem I write in English class; those last few lines.

'Because everyone is hurting, suffering or grieving. whether you know it or not'and then I ponder the possibility that Austin really isn't so bad. I head into the school not long after that.

the first class I head to is English since it's a different day. the teacher is in there before anyone else, I say nothing to her, just take my seat. as I set my bag down, I look and see her come over to me. wondering what I might've done, I say nothing as she sits next to me at a desk and greets me warmly. I say hello to her back and she says,