Everything Will Be Changing

One Day Before Kritana was Due Back
Kenjiro’s Pov

It was around noon when I heard shouting coming from outside. It sounded like Mom’s voice. ‘She isn’t supposed to be back until tomorrow,” I thought as I shoved my siblings up the stairs. 

“Kenjiro, what’s going on?” Stacy asked, trying to look behind me. 

“Ma’s home early,” I whispered. They nodded and went back upstairs. 

Quickly, I cleaned up the kitchen. No residue of food was left once I finished. Slam! The door was close to breaking off its hinges as Mom was standing with blood splattered all over. A limp body was in her left hand as a black gun was in her right, pinned agaisnt the door. A murderous look in her eyes told me everything. A betrayer. 

“Kenjiro,” Mom muttered, “Leave.”

The breathlessness of her voice was my only warning. If I stayed any longer, I would end up like the betrayer. I ran. I ran to the stairs and quickly climbed them. Breathe shaking as I reached the top. Tears flooded my eyes. Then, boom! The sound rang in my ears. Boom! Bam! The gunshots were fired. I can see how she’s doing it. Bam! Forehead. Boom! Right arm. Left arm. Bam! Right leg. Left leg. Boom! Middle of the chest. Tears now falling onto the wooden floor beneath me. 

Splat. Blood just splattered right by my feet. Cautiously, I looked up. The devious smirk on Mom’s face as the thick blood rushed out of the body and onto the ground. The guy turned gray and purple. Mom picked up the coated knife off a table as she slyly went over to the man. The smirk grew as the knife was placed in front. Into each bullet hole, the wounds grew. Crimson liquid flooded out faster. Bullets were taken out along with Mom’s red-colored hands. 

Death in her eyes looked as haunting as ever. A haunting that didn’t sit well. The way she stared at the guy hanging. Her stare didn’t look like hers. Not Mom’s eyes were the ones staring. Dead eyes. Eyes that showed no emotions. Eyes that were crying out, silently. Eyes that could tear up any second. Her gray eyes were dull, not shiny. Those faded. Everything faded. The memory was gone. 

I let out a sigh of relief. The episode was over, but the eyes never left. The dullness of those gray eyes got me thinking. I’ve never seen Mom with such dull eyes. Memories of her and me getting along flooded my brain. Those gray eyes weren’t dull, they were full of emotion. Happiness and joy. Pride. They told a story while the dull ones didn’t. Something about her mental disability. It isn’t treated. It explains everything.

She’s able to switch like snap. During the outrages, her eyes became dull. They wouldn’t show a story, just a reflection. The reflection of what she’s doing. What she did. Then, the eyes sparkled. They sparkled with guilt and remorse. She needed help. 

Tears have stopped flowing from my eyes but not my breath. Still short and heavy. A voice calls out that makes it stop. Mom’s voice.

“Kenjiro, come on down,” she called out, a bit shaky. 

Hesitantly, I went down the steps, one by one. I saw her in the kitchen with tears in her eyes, but they weren’t falling. She had her hands flat against the counter as her body was over the sink. Blood covered her hands and cheeks. This is considered a ‘normal look’ for her. 

“Yes, mother?” I asked, stopping on the last step. The tears in her eyes got bigger. 

“We, we need to have a chat,” Mom stuttered, barely able to speak. Shock and fear invaded my brain. “Have a seat.”

I went over to the cleared-off kitchen table and sat down in one of the wooden chairs. Silence filled the room for a few moments until a hitched breath came from Mom as a tear rolled down her cheek and onto the counter. The first time I’ve ever seen her cry. 

“Ken,” she muttered, softly, her breath hitched. 

“Yea?” I responded, puzzled by the situation. 

“Do you,” Mom paused as if she’s rethinking her decision. “Do you know what bipolar disorder is?” 

“Yea. I also know that you have it.”

Silence.

“I’m going to get help starting tomorrow.” My eyes widened. She has never asked for help before. “But, there will be a few changes.”

“What do you mean by that?”

Mom took a shaky breath before continuing. “I mean, I’m taking you out of Shiratorizawa starting today, and you’re going to need to find a full-time job.”

“Huh?”

“Your dad isn’t going to get away with what he has done, and I’m going to be sent away to a mental hospital for some time. You’re 18 now.”

“Mom…?”

“I’m sorry.”

And with that, Mom turned around to face me. Her eyes had red circles as tears flowed down her cheeks. Her breathing was harsh and shaky as she couldn’t look at me. The gray eyes told a story. A story of regret and sorrow. 

“Semi has to spend the rest of the time here, but he will leave as soon as possible,” Mom demanded as she left the kitchen and into the living room. 

Tears stung my eyes as I watched her leave. Losing her was the last thing I ever wanted, even if I did want her to get what she deserved. Mom was the parent I’m close to. We had some of our best memories together even if she was abusive. I was going to lose my mom.

That night, I heard my parents arguing. I made sure the young’uns were in their room with headphones on, playing music. Unlike me. I listened to the entire thing. Dad was angry that Mom was getting help as Mom was enraged at the fact Dad is like a leech. Then, bam! Someone got shot. 

“You good for nothing piece of shit!” Dad yelled. 

“Shut up and die you fucking bastard!” Mom screamed as another bang ranged through the air.  

Mom’s devious laugh filled the air after the gunshot followed by the words: “So glad you’re dead, you damn bastard.” She killed him. 

I continued listening as Mom muttered something to herself. It sounded like she was grabbing supplies to clean up Dad’s body. I sat there, at the top of the stairs, just thinking about what happened. That is until a thought popped into my head: 

‘Everything will be changing, and
I can’t do anything about it.’

1097 words

I'm so sorry for the strange updates. To be honest, a bit ago, I didn't know how to continue the story, but I recently got my inspiration back. I'm hoping to finish this story up pretty soon, but like like others, I'm always open to oneshots. Also, I have gotten better at writing while I was away so I hope y'all like the new style. Hope y'all enjoyed.