chapter eight.

As Loki and I approached an ancient-looking coffee shop, my eyes skimmed over the area. I realized that this is where I came earlier. The alley on the right of the coffee shop is where I was grabbed by the Frost Giant, and I teleported to Loki. It seemed like forever ago, but must've only been an hour or so.

"You seem cautious," Loki's voice broke me out of my thoughts.

He was staring at me. I relaxed my face muscles and tried to appear nonchalant.

"I'll be fine," I said, opening the door for him.

The door jingled the bells as I opened it, and I followed Loki inside.

We stood a few feet away from the counter so the barista would know we weren't ready.

"What do you want?" I asked Loki, glancing over the menu.

He frowned. "I don't know what any of that means, so I'll take what you get."

"Okay," I said. I decided on hot chocolate to calm my nerves, and I figured Loki's probably never tried it before.

I smiled at the barista as I approached him, but he didn't seem to notice. He had his headphones in and was scrolling on his phone absentmindedly. I didn't blame him, though, because Loki and I were the only ones in the shop.

"Oh," he scrambled once he saw me, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," I said, "-can I get two hot chocolates?" I pulled out a ten dollar bill.

The guy smiled and swept his gray-ish hair out of his eyes. "Sure," he said, telling me the price.

I handed him the money and put the change in the tip jar. I waited patiently at the counter and motioned for Loki to sit down. Of course he chose the booth farthest away from me.

I rolled my eyes before the barista set the steaming cups in front of me. "Thanks," I told him, quickly grabbing them and making my way to Loki.

I set down Loki's drink in front of him and he snuck a glance. "I'm almost scared to ask what this is," he said.

"It's hot chocolate. It's milk with melted chocolate. Try it," I told him, blowing into my cup before taking a sip.

Before Loki grabbed his drink, his appearance shimmered to reveal a new pair of clothes.

My eyes widened and I whipped my head around to see if the barista had noticed, but he had already dove back into his phone.

I glared at Loki as he picked up his hot chocolate.

"You couldn't do that before we came in here?" I whispered angrily.

Loki gave me a look. "What?" He asked innocently.

My eyes glanced over his outfit, which consisted of a black suit and tie. "Of all clothes, you choose a suit and tie," I shook my head.

"Well, why wouldn't I?"

"It's a suit," I replied in a 'duh' voice.

"Am I missing something?"

"I mean, I guess it's alright. Suits aren't really the casual clothing choice around here but, hey, I can't stop you," I cocked an eyebrow, taking a sip of my drink.

Loki watched as I did so. He picked up his cup carefully and tilted it around, investigating it.

"It's not gonna kill you," I deadpanned.

He gave me a sarcastic nod, and scowled at me before touching his lips to the mouthpiece and tilting the cup. He immediately jerked away, almost dropping the cup.