Fading

Suha was accepted into Nijisanji's first Korean branch. He was excited, and Uki was more excited about his success. They passed the auditions and had to prepare for the debut in less than a month.

There was a sizeable audience at his debut, and Suha did his best to bring new content. He wasn't good at playing games, but he did his best and learned how to play first-person shooter games from Uki. Over time, the duo settled into a good rhythm. Uki would prepare the stream thumbnail and schedules while Suha worked part-time at a cafe.

Things were progressing smoothly in terms of career, and Suha once again made his name as an idol, only now he was a virtual character. Streaming with Uki was fun, and it never seemed like work. His subscribers grew in number, and eventually, he could afford a better apartment with the money he earned through streaming.

If there were one thing Suha was unhappy about with his current life, it would be Uki's fading presence.

Although the star guardian was still constantly by Suha's side and his starship was in better shape than before, Uki's astral form was becoming increasingly translucent. He started taking more naps when he previously did not have to.

"Uki, are you ok?" Suha asked one day while they were choosing stream background music.

The star guardian nodded, but Suha did not believe it. After all, Uki's hand had turned completely invisible at the wrist. He was looking less like an astral being and more like a ghost. Even though Suha increased the number of sunlight hours Uki's starship needed, nothing seemed to help.

"Don't lie to me," he frowned. There was no stream or work today. It was just the two of them. "Haven't you noticed? Your hands are invisible!"

Hearing the worry in Suha's voice, Uki's lower lip trembled. He knew it too. However, he couldn't bear to tell Suha why this was happening. Star guardians had wishes to fulfil because that was the reason for their existence. However, when a star guardian deliberately prolongs fulfilling a wish, they risk disappearing forever.

The star he was representing was also starting to fade from Uki's constant use of power. The tattoo on Suha's wrist had faded a little, indicating that he only had another month to be with Suha. His starship had been fully repaired, but he refused to let the human know. Was it too selfish to want more time together?

"Uki?" Suha coaxed again. "What's going on?"

Shaking his head and letting tears fall, Uki begged Suha not to ask more.

"Please, just allow me to stay with you. Just a little more is fine. I-I love you!"

Uki's confession came so suddenly that Suha thought he had heard it wrong the first time. However, the second time Uki repeated it, he reciprocated the feelings.

Even if their lips could not touch, Suha closed his eyes and leaned in to meet Uki's fading astral form halfway. Why did all good things have to end like this? 

Suha knew. Even though he did not understand why it was happening, he knew that Uki would not be able to be with him for much longer. He liked the days they spent together, and the tattoo on his wrist almost faded completely. His wish was almost fulfilled. Did shooting stars disappear when wishes were fulfilled? In that case, Suha wished that he had never made that wish.

Enjoying the kiss even though they could not touch, Uki trembled. He had never fallen in love before, but he was thankful Suha was his first. Even if they had to part, Uki sent a message back to his home planet about the situation. If he disappeared, someone had to come to collect the starship from him.

It wasn't much, but Uki wanted to take away memories of his time with Suha from the man as a parting gift before he disappeared from existence. He had no idea what would happen to star guardians who fell in love with their clients. However, if there was a future, he wanted to work alongside Suha and fall in love with him all over again.