Chapter Five - The Question

"The greatest gift is not being afraid to question."

‒ Ruby Dee

Aaron Adair

Don't fucking ignore my message again.

As I pressed the small blue arrow on the screen, the elevator doors glided open with a ding. Knowing Olivia was waiting for me sent an itch down my spine. This elevator couldn't have been anymore slower.

I glanced at our conversation thread waiting for another message to come through but it never did. She ignored my message, again. At last, the elevator came to a halt before the doors opened, revealing a large desk and three medical receptionists.

"Hello, Mr. Adair!" They said in harmony, looking back and forth amongst each other. I gave them my usual sly smile, observing the wedding rings planted on all three of their fingers.

Sad. I'd never let my marriage come to that. My wife thirsting for another rich man when she has one at home. I was many things but disloyal was never one of them.

Finally, I passed the lobby and I was out of reach from the feigns. I let out a deep breath as I approached Olivia's hospital room. A sense of nervousness passed over me and I just shook it off. What's wrong with you, Aaron? You do this all of the time.

I pushed the door open without a knock and found Olivia sitting on her bed and a doctor standing nearby. The doctor's face practically lit up like a little kid receiving a lolly-pop. Fuck me.

"Oh, Mr. Adair," The doctor began. "It's truly a pleasure to meet you." He stepped a foot closer to me and reached a hand between us.

I respected his gesture, "Nice to meet you...?" I paused for a moment waiting for a name.

"Kavanaugh!" A look of excitement flared behind his eyes as he gripped my hand, shaking it, "Dr. Kavanaugh." He cleared his throat as he corrected himself.

I gave him a simple nod and turned my attention to Olivia, who sat on the edge of her bed with a mischievous smile. The doctor stood around, glancing back and forth between her and me, before realizing I was waiting for him to leave.

"Have a good day, Olivia." He turned toward the door. "Speak with one of the receptionists in the lobby for your discharge papers." He finally disappeared behind the door.

My gaze returned to Olivia and I just watched her, waiting for her to do anything. Her eyes never left mine as she stood from the bed. It was clear her strength was back to normal which I was thankful for. I wouldn't want to have to wheel my new wife around in a wheelchair all of the time.

"So," A breath of air escaped her lips as she began to speak, "where's the paper?"

I stepped closer setting my case on the end of the bed. I opened it and retrieved the paper, placing it on the table beside her. I was now mere inches away from her and she was visibly uncomfortable. Good.

"Pen?" My eyes shifted from her lips to her eyes, studying both of them before processing her question, "Aaron?"

There was something comforting about her face. Her eyes were soft and the sparkle in them gave off the impression she was an innocent girl but I knew that wasn't true just by her demeanor.

I picked a pen out of my case and placed it on top of the paper. She sighed as she signed her name across the small line. Once she was finished, she narrowed her eyes at me.

"Why are you being so quiet?" Her question shocked me.

I rubbed my hand across my chin for a moment, "I'm just doing business, Olivia." I gave her a vague smile. "This is how you handle business."

"I know how to handle business." Her tone was no longer gentle, just full of venom as she spat the words at me. I could tell I got under her skin and that's exactly what I needed if my plan was ever going to work.

She dropped the pen on top of the paper and moved to the bathroom. I heard her fumbling with a few things before she emerged holding a small bag. That tiny thing could hold all of the items she had here these past few years? Well, the majority of her time was spent in a coma due to the accident but still.

"Turn around." I hesitated but spun around without another word. I could hear a few of her garments hitting the floor and I assumed she was changing. Thinking about her naked body made the room feel a million degrees hotter. "I'm done." I turned back around to face her.

"That's all of your things?" I asked as I watched her move around the room. She was wearing tight black jeans that highlighted her soft, feminine curves and a white cami top that hardly covered her full breasts. Fuck, if I didn't stop looking at her now, I wouldn't be able to keep my hands to myself for much longer.

"My parents gave up my place," The discomfort in her voice was clear as day. "And all of my belongings."

I studied her expression for a beat before replying. Her lengthy, brown hair dropped in front of her face each time she bent over and the curves of her body were only emphasized as she stood in that position.

I let out a muted breath trying to concentrate on anything other than her body, "So this is all you have?" I asked, gesturing to the few things laid in front of her.

"That's what I just said." Her tone was full of aggravation and I couldn't help but be amused by it. I received a simple eye roll before she returned to cramming away her things.

Eventually, she zipped the bag and tried picking it up from the floor. The struggle was visible as her arms trembled each time she attempted to lift it. I stepped in front of her, motioning her backward.

"I can get it." Her voice was determined but by the looks of it, she couldn't so I lifted the dark bag, tossing it over my shoulder. She let out a defeated sigh as her hands rested on her full hips.

"I'm sure you could," I teased. "Are you ready?"

Her eyes glanced around the room and she shook her head, stepping toward the bed. By her body language, she was hesitant to pick up my case but I nodded my head, giving her permission.

The lobby was much more occupied now than it had been when I arrived. We stood at the desk waiting for one of the feigns to stroll over and give us her discharge documents. My eyes met her lips and I couldn't do anything but stare. The way she nervously chewed on the bottom one as she looked around the busy room.

"You're back, Mr. Adair." An excruciatingly high-pitched voice rang in my ears. I peeled my gaze from Olivia's lips and located the bothersome noise. The redheaded receptionist stood on the other side of the desk, eyeing me.

"Yes, I am." My sly smile returned. "Doctor said to speak to you for discharge papers."

She glared at Olivia before returning her eyes to mine, "Of course. What's the name?"

"Olivia Bennett," Olivia responded first.

The redhead nodded her head and spun around, looking through a case of files. I glanced at Olivia only to find her already staring at me. Her cheeks were flushed and she looked irritated at the busyness of the room.

"Here you go," The receptionist held the paper out to me but Olivia snatched it from her hand before I could.

"Thank you." She picked up the pen that was chained to the desk and began signing her name across the small line just like she did with our contract. Her signature consisted of an obnoxiously big O and some scribbles after that. She slid the paper across to the receptionist and offered her a forced smile before turning to the elevator.

I gave the redhead a "Don't-flirt-with-a-woman's-husband-in-front-of-her" nod before following Olivia into the elevator.

Although I was familiar with being in small spaces with many women, this time felt different. The air was thick and tense, and Olivia's soft, vanilla scent wasn't helping. I closed my eyes and tried to shake the feeling off like I did just before entering her room but Olivia's next question obliterated my strategy.

"Are we going to have to fuck like a normal married couple?"