Chapter Thirty-One - Dinner

"A great dinner must include not only yummy food, but good conversation."

- Laurie David

Olivia Bennett

Aaron grumbled, "Despite your lack of interest in this dinner, you're certainly not in a hurry."

From behind the door, I mockingly remarked, "As a woman, it requires both patience and time to prepare."

A resounding sigh echoed through the hallway, eliciting a gentle giggle from me. Despite my eagerness to finish the task at hand, I desired to present myself in the most appealing way. My outings were rare, and my attention had been primarily devoted to the cafe lately, where I constantly restocked cups and diligently cleaned the coffee filter whenever Yvette exceeded the recommended amount of grounds. "I apologize, but I simply can't grasp this concept!" Yvette's grievances echoed in my thoughts.

I gently applied a coat of transparent lip gloss, pressing my lips together to evenly distribute the delicate sheen. After a final glance in the mirror, I deliberately tousled my curls to give them a touch of imperfection, and then I felt prepared.

Taking in a deep breath, I readied myself for the forthcoming evening. Following a brief pause, I turned the doorknob and discovered Aaron, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed, waiting for me.

"Sorry I took so long," I said apologetically.

Swiftly shaking his head, he gazed at my appearance and remarked, "If this is the result, feel free to take your time whenever you need."

Rolling my eyes, I briskly walked past Aaron, attempting to evade his gaze, as it seemed he was on the verge of drooling.

"My car," Aaron asked from behind me. "Or yours?" I spun around, giving him a confused look.

"I don't have a car..."

From the kitchen drawer, he retrieved a small white box adorned with a red bow. "I thought you might eventually grow tired of walking everywhere," he remarked. I glanced at the box briefly before shifting my gaze back to his face.

"I..." I started, pausing to gather my thoughts. "I don't really need a car. Walking is perfectly fine for me," I asserted. Turning away, I directed my attention towards the elevator, determined to disregard Aaron and his seemingly insignificant box.

"Fine," He responded curtly. I could hear some shuffling behind me, and eventually, Aaron caught up, standing beside me as we both pressed the elevator button.

A few moments of uneasy silence ensued until the elevator doors smoothly slid open. We entered and descended to the lobby in complete silence.

The blonde receptionist, who always seemed to have her gaze fixed on Aaron, stood behind the desk, observing the two of us. With a mischievous smile, I acknowledged her before stepping out through the expansive glass doors.

After a brief pause, Aaron joined me outside in the chilly, biting wind. I complained, "I forgot my jacket," while rubbing my arms in an attempt to alleviate the goosebumps that had formed.

"Of course you did," he remarked wryly. Without hesitation, he took off his black suit jacket and draped it over my shoulders, concealing the dark blue silk dress I was wearing. The dress boasted a line of diamonds on the chest and exquisite tassels that hung above my thighs. "Is that more comfortable?" he asked.