Chapter Twenty-Six - Promise

"Don't ever promise more than you can deliver, but always deliver more than you promise."

- Lou Holtz

Olivia Bennett

The entirety of my morning was spent laying in my bed, listening to a random playlist I found on Spotify. Most of the songs brought up random memories from years ago like my senior prom, Aaron and I's first date at the Cozy Diner, and the last time my uncle ever laid a hand on me.

It was nice being reminded of things I'd forgotten due to my coma, but some things I'd wish would just stay gone forever. They weren't memories, only nightmares that would haunt me until I died. Which considering the news Aaron dropped onto me today, that wouldn't be long.

I laughed out loud at my dark thoughts, trying to find any light in the situation I was in. It's odd being a person who doesn't have much to live for but wanting to live anyway. Most people who don't have a purpose just want to die, or is that just some emo shit I read from Tumblr?

A sudden knock startled me, causing me to flinch. When I realized who was standing in the open doorway, my body relaxed.

"I have something to do tonight," Aaron had just woken up from a nap I forced him to take so his already deep voice was raspy. "I called Layla and invited her over so you wouldn't be alone." I smiled at his kind gesture. It wasn't clear where the two of us stood, but I liked where we were. I think.

"What time will you be getting back?" I questioned. I knew he hated when I asked questions but I didn't want to be left in the dark. If it didn't make me feel stupid, I'd admit to him that I cared about him but Aaron Adair wasn't one to be cared for.

He stepped further into my room, closing some of the distance between us. My body was tense again. I hated that he made me feel this way, like I was a school girl, flirting with her stereotypical, bad-boy crush.

"I don't know yet," His voice was quieter now that he was closer. "I'll try not to wake you when I get back."

I shook my head, "it's fine," I waved my hand in the air. "I hardly sleep anyway." I took a deep breath and tried to remain focused on our conversation. All morning, random thoughts of what Aaron had told me invaded my mind like a virus. I just wanted to forget that I was dying.

"Helllllooooooo?" Layla's high-pitched voice rang throughout the penthouse. Aaron gave me a knowing smirk before exiting my room. God damn that face.

I heard her laughing with Aaron and climbed out of my bed to meet them in the foyer.

Unsurprisingly, Layla gasped when I entered. "Olivia!" She rushed over, throwing her arms around me and squeezed tightly. I'd return the hug but my arms were stuck to my sides.

"Lay, be careful." Aaron's gentle words touched my heart. But they also bothered me. I didn't want to be seen as weak but the fact he cared about me meant a lot.

"Ooh, sorry!" She jumped back, resting both of her hands on my shoulders. I laughed and returned her hug now that I could finally move my arms. It was refreshing to have another woman around. Constantly being surrounded by Aaron and all of his masculinity got tiring, although I could stare at this shirtless, pajama pants version of him forever.

His entire torso was naked, revealing all of his dark tattoos, each one being too intricate to not have a meaning. As I embraced Layla, I couldn't take my eyes off of Aaron's body.

Finally, I snapped out of whatever trance I was in and pulled away from Layla. "What are our plans today?"

"Umm, let's see..." She tapped a finger on her chin, "We could go shopping...or..." A long, dramatic pause. "We could go shopping?" Her voice was cheery as she had already made up her mind. I eagerly nodded, hoping to satisfy her with my excitement.

"I'll be in your room," She began walking backwards toward my door. "I have to check out your style, considering every time I see you, you're wearing something from Mr. I-love-black here." Her hand gestured toward Aaron and I couldn't help but laugh.

She wasn't necessarily wrong. I do always seem to be in one of his shirts when she's here, and he does have a very selective wardrobe.

"Call me if you need anything," Aaron grabbed his keys from the small table and began opening the door.

"Aaron," I reached out, grabbing his muscular arm. "Please be safe." He'd left me alone countless times but I had never told him this. It was even more shocking to myself than to him.

His arm wrapped around my waist, "I'll be safe." His minty breath hit my ear, sending goosebumps down my spine. "And I'll come back home to you." His reassuring words made my knees feel like Jell-O.

"Promise?" I teased.

Suddenly, his hand was around my throat, "I don't make promises, baby." I felt a tingling sensation between my legs and fought off every urge to jump on him. "I'll show you my promise when I get home." He let me go and was out of the door before I could catch my breath but his sweet voice continued playing in my head.

"Olivia?" Layla called from my bedroom. I shook my head and smoothed my curls before joining her.

"Sorry, I was just saying goodbye to Aaron."

"Mhmmm." Her sarcastic tone made me blush as I thought about him.

I missed him already, and missing someone was a weird feeling. I didn't do that often, except when I'd think of my sister. I needed to call her soon, it's been forever since we've talked.

"No, no, God no!" Layla scavenged through my closet, tossing out multiple items.

I watched as she threw my Nirvana tee on the floor, "Hey!" I exclaimed, grabbing it. "This is vintage!" She watched me in shock as she clutched her non-existent pearls.

"We are so going shopping."