Chapter Seventeen - Blame

"When you blame others for your circumstances, you surrender control of your future."

‒ Frank Sonnenberg

Olivia Bennett

My back rested against the fridge now as I stared across the kitchen at Aaron. After his confession of leaving me alone the exact same way my parents did, I wasn't entirely sure what to say. I could see the clear hurt on his face from admitting that, and I wanted to comfort him but was he really the one who needed comforting?

Out of the short time we've spent together, I've never seen him act that way toward me. The way he shouted at me unrepressed some dark memories I had tucked away, like my father yelling at me in the kitchen when I was a young girl because I threatened to tell someone what my uncle was doing to me.

"I'm sorry, Olivia." My eyes were on the floor now, not daring to look up. I didn't want him to see my tears falling, I've let one too many people see that side of me already.

"Don't be," I said quietly. I wasn't sure what he was apologizing for. The shouting, the lying, or because he abandoned me? My mind sifted through these reasons and came to the conclusion he was apologizing for all three.

A deep breath came from him as he rested both of his fists against the countertop. "Olivia, I-" A ding sounded from the living room, cutting him off.

"Aaaaaaron!" A woman's voice rang out.

"Fuck." He stiffened and ran a hand over his face before exiting the kitchen. I shook my head and gave myself a moment to prepare for whoever I was about to meet.

When I entered the living room, a dark-haired woman stood in front of Aaron, embracing him in a hug. She wore a red, sparkly dress and tall black pumps that I could never wear and if I even tried, I'd break an ankle and maybe more.

Her attention turned to me after she pulled away from him and her eyes lit up with...happiness? I twisted the hem of my shorts in between my fingers, anxiously waiting for someone to speak.

"Oh...my...Gosh, Olivia?!" She shrieked as she skipped across the large room, pulling me into a hug now. "Is that really you?" Her voice was much softer as she whispered into my ear. I hesitantly hugged her back, not knowing who she is but not wanting to be rude.

She held onto my shoulders as she pushed me back to look at me. I gave her an awkward smile and looked to find Aaron staring at me.

"Layla, she..." He hesitated for a moment. "She doesn't remember you." A loud gasp came from her as she held me still as if I was going to run away the first chance I got. I had already contemplated that idea but rendered it unnecessary.

"That coma really fucked you up, huh?" She let out a soft laugh and threw an arm around my neck. "How long has she been out?"

"About a week or so." I could have answered for myself but I nodded toward Aaron, appreciating his answering for me.

She tilted her head, resting hers on mine. "A week and my brother didn't tell me?" Her tone was sarcastically pained. Brother? Aaron and Layla are siblings? He has a sister.

"I've been giving her time to adjust, Lay." His voice was tired and I could tell he didn't want to be dealing with this right now.

"Well, I'm sure I can make her remember me," A worried expression crossed her face as she spoke. "I hope." I let out a quiet chuckle. It was true I didn't remember her but I liked her already. Our personalities were similar considering what I've seen so far.

"No, Layla, we're a bit busy." My eyes were back on him, watching as he tried to worm his way out of his sister's company.

I shook my head, "I'm not busy, he was busy." I clarified. "I'm free." I gave him a sarcastic smile and watched as he ran an aggravated hand through his perfect hair.

Layla let me go and jumped up and down. I felt the natural instinct to reach out and grab her in case her ankles decided now was the time to stop working. A slight wave of panic rushed through me as she continued jumping.

"Can you give me and Aaron just a minute?"

She nodded her head and waved her hand in the air, "I need a drink anyway," She winked at me before trailing off to the kitchen. "Take your time, lovers." I cringed at that word.

When she disappeared around the corner, I took Aaron's hand and guided us to my room. It felt much smaller now that it was both him and I taking up the space. I faced away from him as he closed the door behind us and thought about what I wanted to say.

"Aaron..." My voice was quiet.

"I had no idea she was coming," He reassured me. "I would have made an excuse if I knew she was planning this."

I shook my head, "I don't mind her being here." It was true, I didn't mind. Her personality was warm and bubbly, she was a bright spirit to be around during a time like this. I enjoyed her company already and I was excited to get to know her better.

"Did you come to visit me, Aaron?" He looked up at me through his eyebrows and I sucked in a breath, afraid of his answer. I wanted him to say yes. If he visited me, that would mean he cared about me. Whatever we had before my accident wasn't just for fun, it was real. I needed to know if he and I had something genuine.

"Olivia, I visited you seven hundred and twenty-nine days straight." My chest rose as I took in a breath but never fell to let it out. Seven hundred and twenty-nine days. I was in a coma for that long meaning he...he visited me every single day. I felt a harsh relief in my chest as those words came out of his mouth. "I stopped visiting when you woke up."

"Why?"

His eyes fell to the floor and his body slumped as if my question was taking a physical toll on him. I wanted to wrap my arms around him and comfort him at that moment but I knew it wasn't right.

"I was afraid you'd blame me," His gravelly voice floated throughout the room as I took in his words. "And when I introduced myself for the first time, I realized you didn't even know me anymore." The sad tone that accompanied his words hurt me.

I wasn't sure about my feelings on the situation but I knew I didn't blame him, at least I didn't think I did. Whatever happened that night, I'm sure it was an accident, and I'll find out exactly what did happen from Aaron. But first, I have to get to know that sister of his.