Chapter Eleven - Regret

"Fear is temporary. Regret is forever."

‒ Dan Skinner

Olivia Bennett

My body was layered in goosebumps as we stood on the front porch of my parents house. We've been standing here in the cold weather for ten minutes.

I haven't been inside of this house since the day I turned eighteen. I thought I was ready to face my family but being here is a completely different story.

Aaron took his suit jacket off and wrapped it around me about five minutes ago and I still haven't moved. I feel horrible because he's also freezing but I can't find it in myself to knock on the door.

"Olivia," His voice broke through the strong winds. "We don't have to go in." He's reminded me at least three times we can just leave and pretend we were never even here but I can't.

I can't knock on the door but I can't walk away. Without thinking, I reach my hand up, tapping my knuckles on the redwood door three times.

After a few moments, my mother opens the door. Her eyes snap from me to Aaron. I take a deep breath trying to remain calm. His hand touches mine and then his fingers interlock with mine.

"Hello, Mrs. Bennett." Aaron takes a step forward, offering her his free hand. "It's nice to meet you." Her eyes fall to the black band on his finger and back to me.

She shakes his hand and steps back, inviting us in. He allows me to go first and I'm instantly greeted by my father.

"Oh, it's so good to see you." His hug is tight and suffocating but I don't mind. At least he's happy to see me.

"Hi, dad." He let me out of his tight embrace but held my shoulders, looking me up and down.

"You look incredible, sweetie." I gave him a warm smile and hugged him once more before returning to Aaron's side.

My mother glared at me as she closed the door behind us. All of my hopes that this would be a good night vanished.

A gasp sounds from the other room and when I turn around, my sister is approaching me with her arms wide. She wraps them around me and rests her head on my shoulder.

All of my worries about tonight slowly disintegrate as we hug each other. It's been far too long since I've felt this comfort and warmth.

"I've missed you so much," She whispers into my ear. Her voice is heavy with sadness and I can't help but wonder why. I pulled back, looking at her.

"What's wrong?" I whispered back. She dropped her head and stepped back, ignoring the conversation.

I give her a confused look before turning back to my parents. I try my best not to show any emotion in case they hadn't noticed something was wrong with my sister. If she's trying to hide that then I want to help her.

"Food's almost ready so you guys can take a seat at the table," My mom headed to the kitchen without another word and my father guided Aaron, my sister and I to the dinner table.

It was beautifully set with rose-gold utensils and crème napkins that were embroidered with red flowers. If there was one thing my parents spent reasonable money on, it was their decor.