Chapter Fifty-Five - Lilah

"In the depths of her eyes, Lilah carrie's the secrets of the universe, a gentle soul with an unyielding spirit."

Olivia Bennett

I woke abruptly from my sleep, startled by the sudden wetness between my legs and the puddle forming on the bed. "Aaron," I spoke cautiously, seeking his attention.

"Yeah?" He mumbled with his face buried into his pillow.

"I think my water broke." His body shot up from the bed, his eyes widening as he noticed the puddle I was now sitting in.

In a state of urgency, he paced around the room, swiftly grabbing the bag I had prepared for the hospital. He then assisted me out of bed and guided me towards the elevator, aware of the pressing need to reach the hospital.

Fortunately, it was early in the morning, and the lobby was relatively quiet, granting us the opportunity to go unnoticed as we made our way to the car.

Aaron placed the bag in the backseat and then attentively assisted me in buckling the seatbelt securely across my stomach. The fact that it was only May fourth, a month earlier than my expected due date, filled me with worry.

He drove swiftly to the hospital, skillfully maneuvering through the downtown traffic, while occasionally stealing glances in my direction to ensure my well-being.

As the contractions slowly began, I couldn't help but release a soft whine, feeling the ache intensify in my stomach.

Aaron swiftly halted the car just outside the entrance, disregarding the need to park properly. He immediately assisted me out of the vehicle, gently guiding me into the hospital without hesitation.

"She's in labor!" Aaron exclaimed, his voice carrying across the lobby and catching the attention of everyone present in the waiting room.

A wave of relief washed over me as I noticed Kavanaugh approaching with a bed, realizing that standing was making the contractions feel exponentially more intense. I focused on taking slow breaths, attempting to alleviate the pain.

"Call Delores," he instructed a nurse who was nearby, and she promptly made her way back to the desk she had come from, picking up the phone to make the call.

A louder whine escaped my lips as I tightly gripped the handles on the bed, trying to endure the increasing intensity of the pain. Aaron stood by my side, gently pushing the sweaty strands of hair away from my face, providing comfort and support during this challenging moment.

"She's ready to push," Kavanaugh announced before stepping aside, making way for another doctor to examine me and guide me through the next stage of labor. "She's being treated for stage two kidney cancer." He informed the new doctor, Delores, I assumed.

"Okay, Olivia," he smiled down at me. "Are you ready to give birth to this beautiful..." He paused for a moment, glancing between Aaron and me, realizing the surprise element of the baby's gender.

"Girl. Our beautiful baby girl," I managed to smile through the pain, hearing the mixture of excitement and nervousness in Aaron's voice. The anticipation and joy of welcoming our daughter into the world overwhelmed any discomfort I was feeling.

The doctor led us into a room, communicating medical terms to the nurses who swiftly gathered around my bed, ready to assist in the upcoming birth.

Aaron positioned himself near the top of the bed, holding my hand tightly and gently rubbing his thumb against my forehead. I could sense his nervousness as he glanced down, his attention fully focused on supporting me as I began the pushing process.

I focused on breathing in and out rather than speaking or yelling or whatever you're supposed to do during child birth. I wanted one thing and one thing only: for this baby to come out because the pain was overbearing.

"6:44 A.M." Delores wrote on a clipboard as I rested my head on the pillow, trying to catch my breath.

After a brief moment, I shifted my attention to the nurse who was holding our baby, carefully giving her a bath. I watched with a mixture of awe and tenderness, marveling at the sight of our newborn child being gently cared for.

Despite his nerves, Aaron took on the task of cutting the umbilical cord, and ever since then, he hasn't stopped talking about it. The sheer joy and excitement emanating from him brought a sense of fulfillment, making all the pain of the pushing and contractions worthwhile in the end.

The nurse who had given our baby a bath approached us, carefully handing her to me. Aaron leaned in, eliminating any distance between us, and gently ran his index finger along her cheek. His eyes started to glaze over with emotion as he marveled at our newborn child, completely captivated by the moment.

"She's so beautiful," he softly spoke through his subtle tears. "Just like her mother." His words carried a profound love and admiration as he expressed his heartfelt sentiment, recognizing the beauty and resemblance our precious baby girl held to me.

I smiled at him, wiping away his tears gently as he continued gazing at our daughter. "Lilah," I spoke softly. "Lilah Adair."

His eyes swiftly shifted from our daughter to me as he registered the name I had chosen. I had decided to name our baby girl after his mother, knowing how much she meant to him. Through this name, I wanted to honor his mother's memory and convey that our baby girl held a profound significance in our lives, just like her grandmother did for Aaron.

"Lilah," he repeated quietly, his voice filled with tenderness, as he planted a gentle kiss on her small forehead. I marveled at her tiny size, and although I still carried some concern about her being premature, I found solace in the soft cooing sounds she emitted. It reassured me that she was okay and filled my heart with warmth and relief.

Our baby girl is now a week old, and her tiny presence continues to have a profound impact on everyone around us. The love and affection she receives from my parents, Layla, Sebastian, and my sister is overwhelming. I am filled with gratitude, knowing that Lilah will always be surrounded by an abundance of love and support, ensuring that she will never feel alone.

His grandmother playfully adopted the name 'Gigi' and insisted that everyone, including Lilah, refers to her by that name. She believed that if everyone consistently called her 'Gigi,' our little one would eventually pick up on the name and become familiar with it.

Although the early birth of our baby girl had disrupted our plans for the wedding, I knew that regardless of any adjustments we would have to make, she was worth every bit of it. The joy and love she brought into our lives surpassed any other considerations, and we were prepared to replan and adapt our wedding to accommodate this new chapter of our lives. Our focus remained on cherishing and nurturing our precious daughter, as everything else would fall into place in due time.