The New Roommate

there was a new student coming to teyvat high, and xiao was selected to be their tour guide and friend. despite not wanting to fill this role in the beginning, xiao quickly warmed up to the new unique individual.
(this is based in the same au that my other genshin book is, just with an added reader insert to it here)

xiao x gn reader
__
another horrific day of school done with and xiao had been called to the principals office. this time, he didn't know why. he did nothing wrong that day to the extent of his knowledge.
he had no visible piercings, no headphones on in class, AND he even did his work.

trudging along the corridor, he eventually reached that dreadful softwood door and reached out for the handle, though hesitantly. xiao was already drained and didn't exactly feel willing to be screamed at by the principal going over the same three points over and over as usual.

honestly, xiao had no idea how he was still allowed in school. he rarely attended classes and didn't stay in the provided dorms much, despite students staying there not being allowed to be outside of the dorm building past a certain time. that time being 11pm, which was more than fair, but sometimes xiao would stay out until 4am and then sit in his dorm room until 1pm, and after that he would most commonly go to a nearby café. his sleep schedule was more than slightly messed up to say the least.

upon opening the door of the office, xiao was surprised to be met with another student staring back at him, as if they were waiting for his arrival.

they looked quite interesting to say the least, and xiao felt somewhat drawn to their presence.

"hello, xiao."
god he hated his principles voice. it really went through him, almost as if it crawled under his skin just to make sure it could bother every part of him as much as possible.

"hello."
it was a quick and simple response, but that's all that xiao was willing to give to that slimy worm of a principle.

"as i'm sure you've noticed, we have a new student. i selected you to be their tour guide and friend until they settle in enough to move on from you."
great.
just great.

xiao felt his blood both boil and run cold at the same time, if possible. i mean seriously ? he got volunteered for something he would've never chose to do against his will, most likely because the snake that runs teyvat high hates his guts.

xiao took one more quick glance at this new student and then turned around, opening his mouth to let out a snarky comment, but deciding against it last second.

"i assume they've also been put in my dorm ?"

"you assume correctly"
so that's yet another person invading his space. he already felt that zhongli and rosaria were more than enough for him, but according to his trashy principal it wasn't. this had to be against some form of law, surely ? spiting kids in your school ? how pathetic.

"come on then, grab your stuff, i'm not gonna stand waiting in here all day."
xiao couldn't care less about this new kid, because it was now one more problem for him, but his tone remained sharp nonetheless. however, it was mainly directed at the weasel sat in the chair next to them even if that didn't make sense. he was talking to the new student but xiao couldn't control his anger around that stupid 'principal'.

if zhongli wouldn't sit him down to give a fifty hour lecture on why his actions were wrong, xiao would've beaten the principal to a pulp then and there, because he made it his goal to make sure xiao was as miserable as physically possible.
every opportunity he had to get xiao into trouble, he took, even when xiao was completely innocent. xiao's parents now perceived him as a bad child and a failure, and because of this they refused to be associated with him.
they 'didn't raise a rebel' or something like that ...