Chapter 8

"What was that about?"

Lori's hand rested on her fork, but she had touched none of her food. Rosie came to the booth and shook her head.

"My guess is Bill's daughter's been giving Cash money. But knowing Cash, and hearing what Bill said, he might have stolen from Bill, too," said Rosie. "Bill doesn't believe in banks. Never has. Common knowledge. They say he stashes money all over his farm. But that's not the worst."

The café owner's eyes sparkled. The edges of her mouth turned upwards in the slightest smile.

"It's not."

"No. They found Cash's uncle dead in his house."

"Did he have a heart attack or something?" Lori asked.

"No," said Rosie. "Murdered! Believe me that kind of thing doesn't happen much 'round here. This town's as boring as drying concrete. Guess the sheriff's got some tough questions he wants to ask Cash. He shares the house with his uncle."

"Do you think Cash did it?"

"Who knows? They haven't arrested him. That's a good sign, I guess. Maybe Cash has a good alibi. I certainly hope so," Rosie said. "But I can tell you one thing, Clifford Prater was a real devil. The meanest kind. Nothing but a louse and a drunk. Clifford's leeched off that kid his whole life. If Cash did it, I wouldn't blame him. I like that boy, I really do. But he's got problems. Then again, if I'd been raised on Clifford Prater's teat, I'd be as twisted as a pretzel, too. Hah. You done?"

Lori shook her head. Rosie collected the dirty dishes. Lori handed Rosie the twenty dollar bill.

"Don't worry about that," Rosie said. "It's paid. Your knight in shining armor's got you covered."

Rosie giggled as she sauntered away. A smartly dressed man walked up to Lori's booth.

"Name's Deck Ashlon. Never seen you around here before."

"Lori James. Um, I had some trouble with my car and ended up here. Thanks for breakfast."

"It's the least I could do. I saw you and Cash walking into town. Figured that scrapheap of his had broken down."

"Yes," she said. "That's what he told me."

"Now, he's with Noble. Who knows how long that will take?"

His smile was radiant.

"You plan on staying around for awhile?" Deck asked.

"Just passing through.'

Deck glanced at his Rolex.

"I'd really like to give you a lift, but I gotta be somewhere. Sorry. Business. But I do have a bit of friendly advice for you."

"Advice?"

"Yeah. And you'd be smart to take it. Stay away from Cash Matstock. He comes from a long line of losers. A really long line. Believe me. That one's nothing but trouble."

"Thanks for breakfast."

"My pleasure. Anytime."

He smiled. His hair was touched with hints of silver at the temples. His face was chiseled. He had a straight Roman nose with a strong jaw and a dimple in his chin.

Frigging gorgeous, thought Lori.

He turned and exited the café.

I look awful, she thought. And feel worse.

She sat in the booth watching his tight buns as he exited. The door closed. She stood up and looked around. Many of the older gentlemen had left. She had no idea what to do next.