Chapter 37

Blind Joe stood at the edge of the ring of light. Noble Brand's service revolver was in his right hand. Cash came to with Lori's face near his.

"I'm afraid I'm gonna need a mite little help getting the Sheriff out of his hogties," Blind Joe said.

"We'll do that," Cash said. "But there's something else. Coffin said he planted a bomb in the old dump site somewhere on this property."

"Not much we can do about that," said Joe.

"What are you talking about? We've got to do something. If it blows, they'll be poison gas and God knows what else to deal with."

"Let's pray to the Almighty that Coffin Snell lied about a bomb. It would be just like him."

"What's the matter with you, Joe? We've got to start right away. You worked here. Take me to the dump site."

"Cash," Joe said. "There are scores of dumps on this property. Back then, we were digging pits with front-end loaders all the time. I couldn't begin to tell you where to start your search."

*****

"Do you always carry a gun?" Lori asked, remembering the day she'd first met Joe in the old church sanctuary.

They were standing beside a deputy's car. The rain had stopped. The crickets were chirping, and the air was fresh and alive.

"This belongs to the Sheriff," said Joe.

"Damn. I never thought to check," said Cash. "We owe you our lives."

"The casket's task. The crooked path. A metal spike," said Blind Joe. "I tried to warn you. I saw it was him in a vision. Coffin. S. Nail. Coffin Snell."

"Jesus," said Lori. "And we thought you were crazy. Why didn't you just come out and tell us?"

"This is the South, Missy. A black man like me got to be real careful. Even now."

"Did Coffin killed Mama?"

"I don't know," said Joe.

Cash looked at Blind Joe.

"I don't understand," said Cash.

"You don't need to," said Blind Joe. "All you need to remember is that your mama and daddy loved you."

A hint of a smile broke on Cash's face.

"Coffin said ..."

"Virgil was your daddy. He was the one that got up every night and come to this place and worked to put food in your mouth and to keep a roof over your head. I know that Virgil Matstock was your daddy in all the ways that count. That's all I know. And don't you ever forget that."