2 - Thomas

I entered the lecture hall after the stressful morning I had. I was exhausted from life at this point and it was a horrible way to start this new school year. In my head, I kicked myself for not being more strong. For not being more prepared.

I checked my watch, 10:53. Perfect.

I looked around and due to the fact that I was on time, I had a decent selection of seats.

Several girls and guys were trying to catch my eye, probably in hopes I would sit next or near to them. I scanned the hall before I landed on the one person who's head wasn't turned my way and she also conveniently sat towards the back.

Decision made, I made my way over and sat in the seat next to her. The first thing that struck me about her was her hair. It was a deep brown and pulled back into a ponytail. It had small waves in it and complimented her slightly tan skin perfectly. What the fuck? I looked away quickly, before I gave in and looked at her again.

I was about to look away again but before I could, her dark brown eyes snapped onto mine and I could've sworn I saw something resembling strong dislike in her features. She looked away.

After Professor Twine made it clear that we were to stay in these seats for the foreseeable future, he said, "Now, you will probably get to know this person next to you rather well, as I enjoy collaborative work." I could have sworn the girl's passive expression turn into a glower when he said that. "So, we might as well get started now. Turn to the person beside you and introduce yourselves everyone."

I turned to her and gave her a grin that always won me favours and said, "I'm Thomas. Thomas Verner." Her face remained the same, neutral, bordering on frustration. I was confused. "Your name is..." I prompted.

"Valerie. My name is Valerie Fawkes." She reluctantly replied. Her voice was smooth and she had an accent that I recognised as British.

"Where are you from?" I asked her. She gave me a confused expression, like I was supposed to be grumpy or mad at her or something before she said,

"North London. Camden. I don't know if you've heard of it." She tucked a baby hair behind her ear, still looking like she strongly disliked me. I wasn't sure why.

"Oh no, I have." I hadn't. Why was I lying? "I'm from the Upper East Side." I found myself saying.

"Figures." She sighed and turned away as Professor Twine continued speaking.

Later in the lesson, I still felt that odd tension that seemed to only be coming from her. In an effort to start conversation, I said, "Do you know what book we are studying?" I knew the answer.

Again, she gave me that confused look. Like I was being weird or something before she replied with,

"Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen." He answer was clipped and she made it clear she no longer wanted to speak to me and she turned back to Professor Twine.

She was strange.

For the rest of the lesson, I found myself stealing small glances at her but she didn't look at me once. I frowned at this thought.

By the time it had reached the end of the lecture, she packed up in record time and hurried away, acting as if she needed to put as much distance between me and her as possible.

As I left class, I saw her chocolate ponytail weaving through the crowd before she linked arms with a freckled brunette and they walked off.

"Verner!" My best friend, Marcus Williamson called after me.

Slightly annoyed, I turned to him.

"What are you staring at?" He asked me.

"Nothing." I lied, and quickly turned my head away from Valerie.