23 - Thomas

After dropping Valerie home to a very apologetic Mable and making sure she got inside, I reluctantly steered my car in the direction of school for hockey training.

It's not that I didn't like hockey, I really did, I just liked Valerie more. I wanted to spend more time with her this morning but instead I was driving myself to a freezing game with a team that I hate (with a few exceptions) to skate around. 

---

"Hey, Thomas." Toby said. I just nodded in response.

"It's my birthday next week and I'm having a thing at mine. Do you want to come?" He asked, scratching the back of his head.

"Who's going?" I asked. 

"Marcus, Theo, Angela, Kyra, Dan, George, the other George, Bill, Molly, Nina and some others. Basically the whole team except a few."

I nodded again in response. 

"I'm going to invite Val too, just so you know." He said, giving me a look. 

"Since when are you friends with Valerie?" I asked, my eyes narrowing. I liked Toby, I considered him a friend but his face was looking very punch-able right now.  

"Since our professor moved her next to me in History." Toby said, giving me a knowing look.

I didn't like this piece of new information at all but if Valerie was going then so was I.

"Yeah, sure I'll go. And Happy Birthday."

Toby grinned, "Thanks, Thomas."

I grabbed my hockey bag and made my way out of the changing room, Marcus no where to be seen. Probably off following Mable around.

Like I'm any better. I thought. 

I turned round a corner, making my way to my English Literature class, already thinking about Valerie and what we would speak about, how her hair would look and how many different ways I could make her smile.

The hallways were weirdly empty and I checked my watch to see that I was running ten minutes late. Great. That talk with Toby must have made me late. 

I turned round another corner to see a familiar brunette walking to our class. Her hair was down today, falling down her back in soft waves. I frowned. Valerie is never late.

I was about to call out her name when she slowed down and stumbled a bit. She staggered forward and had to put a hand on the wall to steady herself.

Something was wrong. Something was very wrong. 

"Valerie!" I called out after her. She didn't turn or acknowledge that she had heard me and carried on staggering forward.

I wasted no more time and went straight for her but before I could reach her she slumped to the ground in a messy heap, her head hitting the floor and making a thud that made my heart jolt in my chest with fear.

Her eyes fluttered shut and her face was deathly pale.

She had passed out.

"Valerie? Valerie!" I said, willing her eyes to open.

Not knowing what else to do, I crouched down and scooped her into my arms, bridal style, to try and get her somewhere safer. 

Her head rested against my chest but her limbs remained lifeless. 

Just as I was making my way to the school's nurse, her eyes opened. Her head lolled to the side as she took in her surroundings before they widened in panic.